Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Presentations of Civil 3D data

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
neilyj666
672 Views, 22 Replies

Visual Presentations of Civil 3D data

Having now upgraded to IDSP 2014, what is the best workflow to get some good looking 3D visuals (stills/movies etc) from Civil 3D to present to planners/authorities/clients etc.

Is keeping everything in Civil 3D the best way or should I be looking at Infraworks/3DS Max/Navisworks?

Infraworks seems pretty slick but I can't seem to be able to show proposed earthworks platforms easily. The aerial photo seems to be draped over them rather than allowing me to chop a hole out as I can in Civil 3D. The only way I have been able to do this is by creating a coverage and styling that which seems a bit of a workaround.

The 3D performance of Infraworks is pretty slick compared to Civil so in this respect it is preferable to Civil.

Any thoughts gratefully received........

Thanks

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Actually I used Infrastructure Modeler and I can get pretty good looking results with it. Yes, now it is converted to Infraworks and more or less the UI changed a bit, but looks like promising for the future. I know some modules are provided with the Ultimate version that I wish would be provided to the Premium, but it looks like the tendency is for the future to have maybe a real 3D design tool besides C3D.

Now I can say Infraworks still lacks lots of things for visualization, but for a beginner in the visualization /presentation it is what you need. Now if you want to dig deeper and want better results, that implies more work, therefore learning to use 3DS 🙂

Now this is one of my beginner visualizations, but I think I can get it to do much more : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9yhYNpTnKs

I know that for good rendering and the whole "real" feel I will end up using 3DS in the end, but for a quick and no time consuming I can always use Infraworks.

Message 22 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

I like the speed of Infraworks but if I can crack how to get a Civil 3D earthworks platform surface (i.e. not derived from corridor) I'd be a bit happier. I'm planning on delving into 3DS Max Design eventually but don't want to spend all my time doing 3d renderings etc

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 23 of 23
dsimenic
in reply to: neilyj666

It's not a big deal really- good practice for the start is to view tutorials on You Tube -3DS max official learning channel. Then start practice with your real data.

Poslano s mog iPad uređaja

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report