Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewports moving even when locked

46 REPLIES 46
Message 1 of 47
ssaigeon
3056 Views, 46 Replies

Viewports moving even when locked

My viewports are doing something weird.

I know for a fact that my viewports were in the correct location, at the correct scale and they were locked.  To give you a little background, in my plan sheet drawing I am showing a plan view and profile view and I use 2 xrefs to do this, my master plan drawing and my profile master.  I was switching between the profile master and my plan sheet drawing doing some adjusting to the profile master's profile VC labels and making sure they will fit into the viewports I made in the plans sheets.  As I am doing this editing, I am saving the profile master and reloading the plan sheet drawing.  After I come out of the reload in my plan sheet drawing, every single viewport that shows the master plan xref was reset to a position way out in left field.  This makes absolutely no sense because I wasn't working with the plan view viewports and I am 100% certain they were LOCKED.  How is it even possible that they get moved if they are locked?

I am able to get around this problem by re-aligning my viewports to their correct position, its just annoying having to do this again.  I would really like to know what is causing this so I can prevent it from happening again.

Thanks,

Scott

46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
SethHall
in reply to: ssaigeon

Which version of Civil 3D are you using? Do you have viewports side by side with other viewports that have different scales set?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 47
ssaigeon
in reply to: SethHall

I use 2013.  I have 2 viewports per layout, one for plan and one for profile but they are both at the same scale.  It was the plan viewports that messed up even though I wasn't doing any work with them.

Message 4 of 47
SethHall

Were these sheets created using the Plan Production tools or manually created viewports?

Also is this drawing specific or does it happen in all your production drawings?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 47
ssaigeon

They were created manually.  I used the copy layout feature create the next sheet along my alignment and adjusteed them by hand.  This problem is not drawing specific, it has happened in two different drawings.  Glad you mentioned the plan production tools though.  Looks like I have been creating sheets the hard way.

Message 6 of 47
SethHall

Thank you for the additional details. The fact that you are copying layouts may be the key to the issue. If you have a "bad" viewport you may have copied it to each layout tab and magnified the issue. You may want to try to create new viewports and see if that helps, or try out the plan production tools and see if you get a better result.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 7 of 47
ssaigeon

I think I may have figured out what is causing my plan viewports to mess up and reset.  On each of my plan viewports I have a north arrow block attached to it that auto rotates to the north direction of what is being displayed in the viewport.  This feature is under layout tools -> North Arrow.  Now I have 2 drawings where I have had my plan viewports bug and in every instance I had a north arrow attached to the VP.  I should note that in the same drawings that my plan viewports bugged, my profile viewports did not (I assume because I have nothing attached to them).  I am using a custom north arrow block that keeps the "N" vertical and rotates the arrow as needed.  The bug may be simply the custom block I am using not playing nice with the North Arrow feature under Layout Tools, or the program may not like the quantity of north arrows attached to viewports in each drawing ( I have 11 in one and 10 in the other).

I can simply not use north arrow feature under the layout tools to get by, but should I be reporting this potential bug somewhere?  If so where?

Scott

Message 8 of 47
SethHall

This is something I can report for you if you like; however I am going to need specific steps to reproduce. I tested this on my own, and my viewports seem remain intact no matter how many north arrows are used in the drawing and layouts. Could you try this minus your custom north arrow and see if it performs the same?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 9 of 47
ssaigeon

I cannot seem to get the viewports to act up using the north arrows provided within ACAD.  Could it then be something with my custom North Arrow?

Message 10 of 47
SethHall

If it is not reproducible with your custom north arrow then I would have to assume that something is wrong with that block or whatever you used to create it. Maybe try recreating it and see if it still happens.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 11 of 47
Cadguru42

@ssaigeon wrote:

My viewports are doing something weird.

I know for a fact that my viewports were in the correct location, at the correct scale and they were locked.  To give you a little background, in my plan sheet drawing I am showing a plan view and profile view and I use 2 xrefs to do this, my master plan drawing and my profile master.  I was switching between the profile master and my plan sheet drawing doing some adjusting to the profile master's profile VC labels and making sure they will fit into the viewports I made in the plans sheets.  As I am doing this editing, I am saving the profile master and reloading the plan sheet drawing.  After I come out of the reload in my plan sheet drawing, every single viewport that shows the master plan xref was reset to a position way out in left field.  This makes absolutely no sense because I wasn't working with the plan view viewports and I am 100% certain they were LOCKED.  How is it even possible that they get moved if they are locked?

I am able to get around this problem by re-aligning my viewports to their correct position, its just annoying having to do this again.  I would really like to know what is causing this so I can prevent it from happening again.

Thanks,

Scott

Did your viewport pan to 0,0 while still being locked? That's happened to me and today I ran into this issue again. I, too, have a plan view viewport that is using northarrow directly from the Layout Tools ribbon. In fact, my viewport is still locked at 1" = 40' scale, but it's panned to 0,0. My drawing is around 3000000,745000, so it's not even a zoom extents type issue. 

Here's a screenshot of my layout, with the cursor inside the model space. You can clearly see the viewport is locked, yet the cursor is around -151.7,529.5. My viewport just magically panned by itself, while locked, to 0,0 instead of staying where it was the last time I looked at this layout. I have seen this happen a couple times before, but never put together that the north arrow was linked to the viewport in every case I've seen this happen. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 12 of 47
ssaigeon
in reply to: Cadguru42

Yes that's exactly what my viewports did.  Mine panned to 0,0 while locked. and retained their scale of 1" = 50' as well.  The only difference between my issue and yours is that I made a custom North arrow block.  I had thought that there might have been something wrong with the block I made but you just proved that the problem also occurs using a provided North arrow out of the layout tools.

Message 13 of 47
scaldwell73

I've had the same thing happen in a couple of my drawings as well when I've used the map north arrow feature. It's a real pain the butt to have to redo all of your sheets when this happens.

Shawn Caldwell
Gay & Neel, Inc.
Message 14 of 47
BigBudha
in reply to: scaldwell73

Has anyone found a fix to this? I have the same problem - locked viewports panning (w/o any work being done to them). They have the "Arrow 21" North arrow tied to the vp's.

Message 15 of 47
Cadguru42
in reply to: BigBudha

@BigBudha wrote:

Has anyone found a fix to this? I have the same problem - locked viewports panning (w/o any work being done to them). They have the "Arrow 21" North arrow tied to the vp's.

So far the only workaround that I know of is to not use the viewport north arrows. Just do it the "old" fashioned way and insert a block in the model space that shows up in the viewport. 

This is another one of those Autodesk issues where something is broken, they know it but won't admit it, and we'll just have to wait until they decide it's worth fixing. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 16 of 47
BigBudha

The other CAD person here in the office seems to think it might have to do with the UCSFOLLOW being set to "1" instead of "0" in each individual VP is what may have caused it....and not the linked arrow.

The other "maybe" is that my machine has the service pack installed and hers doesn't as being another possiblity as it only happens on my machine and not hers. Identical machines except for the service pack install. 

Who knows.

Message 17 of 47
Cvanvliet

Did you ever figure out how to fix the issue? I am having the same issue while using a custome North Arrow Block when producing my plan and profiles my viewports are locked and can be fine for days then something occurs and my viewports have moved to somewhere in space, all annotation and xref's are still there. I am sure it has something to do with the North Arrow, just not sure how to fix the issue. I am using AutoCAD 2014. Any suggestions

Message 18 of 47
bsuits2

Has Autodesk aknowledged and corrected this issue yet?  I have had it happen several times myself and also suspect it to be the stock linked North arrow.  It is frustrating when a problem can sit this long without Autodesk having pushed a patch to correct it...

Message 19 of 47
Cvanvliet

I am having the same problem but I know it is being caused by Dynamic North Arrow. This only happens when I insert a Dynamic North arrow, But i am not sure how to fix the problem. Any ideas out there?

Message 20 of 47
doni49
in reply to: Cvanvliet

I have yet to see anyone post a sample dwg file.  In addition, I have yet to see anyone post a list of steps to reproduce the issue.

Until autodesk can reproduce the issue, they have no way of figuring out what exactly is causing it.

I just tried using what little info has been posted so far and I have NOT been able to reproduce the issue myself.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report