Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport Transparency

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
skyfog
47123 Views, 24 Replies

Viewport Transparency

How is layout viewport transparency controlled? The illustration under the Help topic "About Layout Viewports" shows two overlapping viewports that are mutually transparent. That's exactly what I want. BUT, in my system, overlapping layout viewports are mutually opaque by default and I cannot figure out how to change that, AND all the discussions I am able to Google up are complaints that overlapping layout viewports are transparent and everyone is trying to figure out how to make them opaque, with WIPEOUTs or whatever ... very frustrating!

How do I get transparent overlapping layout viewports?  I am using Civil 3D 2014.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
neilyj666
in reply to: skyfog

Not sure I understand - can you post a screenshot?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 25
skyfog
in reply to: neilyj666

HI Neilyj, thanks for your reply. In the attached screenshot, Viewport 1 is obscuring the object in viewport 2 (even tho the border of Viewport 2 can be seen). I'd like Viewport 1 to be transparent so the green object in Viewport 2 can be seen thru it, aligned with the outlined object in Viewport 1.

If you check the illustration in the HELP topic mentioned above, you can see an example of (what I think is) exactly that.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 4 of 25
skyfog
in reply to: neilyj666

Here's the HELP illustration I'm talking about.

Message 5 of 25
neilyj666

This seem to arise if you have the visual style set to Realistic

2014-05-01 12_49_19-AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 - [Drawing2.dwg].jpg

If you swap the visual styles in the viewports then it works

2014-05-01 12_51_09-AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 - [Drawing2.dwg].jpg

There may be a far slicker way of doing this but I don't know of it...:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 25
rkmcswain

For me, they are both "transparent" as long as they are both set to 2D Wireframe.

If I change one viewport to any type of shading (such as Conceptual, or Xray), that viewport now obscures objects in another viewport.

vptrans.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 25
neilyj666
in reply to: rkmcswain

That's my conclusion

EESignature

Message 8 of 25
skyfog

Hello rkmcswain,,,   Yes, that seems to be the deal.  If there's any way to get around that, it would be wonderful to discover it.

The whole idea here, which I didn't really explain, is to get different renderings of the various parts of an assembly, e.g. the important parts in Realistic rendering and the supporting parts in Hidden wireframe (or some such combination of renderings). The simple problem stated above resulted from trying to do that with overlapping viewports.

Is there a more straight-forward way of accomplishing mutiple renderings on an object-by-object basis? If so, that's where I really need to be.

Thanks for your help, and thanks again also to neilyj.

Message 9 of 25
skyfog

One additional encouraging observation: The objects in the overlapping viewports in the HELP illustration are apparently rendered in HIDDEN style, unless they were just dummied-up somehow for the sake of the illustration (which I doubt), or maybe the illustration was done with a prior version when things might have been different ...? 

Anyway, that leads me to believe there MIGHT be a way to do it ...

HELP Illustration

Message 10 of 25
jennielowery

So did anyone ever find a work around for this issue?

I'm having the same problem.  I need the viewports to be in Realistic Mode, and I need for the 2 viewports to have transparent backgrounds.  Why is that so hard for AutoCAD to do?  Is there not a feature to just turn the friggin background of the viewport OFF? grrrrrr

What good is it to  have a Realistic Option in teh viewports and then limit how it's used?!?!

Message 11 of 25
tcorey
in reply to: jennielowery

One workaround would be to use polygonal viewports.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 12 of 25
jennielowery

That is really just so dumb. I wonder why Autocad decided to make it's users work extra hard to use their "nifty" features?  Ridiculous. Thanks for adding even more time to my paperspace setup time AutoCAD.  Such a waste, it may seem like nothing, but when you have 14 -20 pages to set up with multiple object son each page .. thats about another hour+ worth of work.

so frustrating.

especialyl when the veiwports used to have transparant backgrounds regardless of the type they were.

Message 13 of 25
lfried

Not too old of a topic to bring back, but I've run into this same issue, though in ACAD Arch.

What I've found, resides in the Visual Styles Manager. Select any Visual Style, then go to Edge Settings -> Show -> Isolines and this will make your viewport transparent.

If you have Edge Settings -> Show -> Facet Edges or None then you will have an opaque viewport.

Message 14 of 25
E-Bim
in reply to: lfried

Hello,

It is perhaps an old topic but in case of someone is still searching for it I think I find a good tips.

In order to have no background for a viewport in a shaded view you can open the Visual Style manager (_VISUALSTYLES) and then paste and copy the style you would like to use in a viewport and which have a non transparent background. Then select the new Visual Style you just create. In the visual style properties set "Backgrounds" to "Off" instead of "On" in the Environment Settings part.

Then all viewport using this visual style will be transparent.

I hope it could help someone.

Regards.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel
Message 15 of 25
ron0ryan1

autocad seems to create for more kluster f ckin with more crap to confuse users

and no help

Message 16 of 25
ron0ryan1
in reply to: E-Bim

This option works

but you missed many steps

go to model space

type in visual styles

when the pop up window opens

select 2d wireframe

right click I that window

and select "apply to all viewports"

type regen

you should see your paperspace dimesions and text NOT covered up by the vport window

next time folk STOP WASTING PEOPLES TIME

with NON ISSUES other than the QUESTION ASKED

or incomplete Intructions to solve an issue

THATS INCOMPETANT AUTOCAD JOBS TO CONFUSE users

user since autocad ver 2.6

Message 17 of 25
lfried
in reply to: ron0ryan1

Dude, chill. E-BIM's solution works, as do a few others previously posted.

Yours, however, changes the visual style to wireframe; not everyone wants to see wireframe.

Chill out and read a bit more.

Message 18 of 25
BobbyWaddy
in reply to: ron0ryan1

that doesnt work for me pal.

Message 19 of 25
darraghsheehan2

A quick work-around,

1. Place a white (255,255,255) polyline with a large global with under the model to block the lines from the other drawing.
  2. Right-Click and use "Draw Order" to arrange the viewports and objects using this white screen method. 
Message 20 of 25
darraghsheehan2

A quick work-around,

1. Place a white (255,255,255) polyline with a large global with under the model to block the lines from the other drawing.
  2. Right-Click and use "Draw Order" to arrange the view ports and objects using this white screen method. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report