Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport Help.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
388 Views, 11 Replies

Viewport Help.

Hello,

I have a drawing where I created my viewport. Drew a box, chspace that box to place it on model space to later split my dwg. When I change the space, the box goes to model space with an evelation (and a different place). I checked that I am on "top" view.

Any ideas of what setting got changed?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

make sure your viewport box is on elev 0 before the chspace.  

Message 3 of 12
Neilw_05

I've never experienced that behavior but a couple of things I would check are:

Make sure UCS is set to World.

Make sure your BASE variable is set to 0,0,0.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 12
AllenJessup

It might be the same as "Top". But I'd suggest unlocking the viewport typing PLAN then selecting the WCS. That tends to fix a lot of problems.. BTW. If you have a Viewtwist set. You'll have to reestablish that afterwards.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Elevation on the box is 0.

Message 6 of 12
troma

I have always experienced a z-value being assigned to objects through the CHSPACE command.  Some viewports do it and others don't.  If a viewport assigns a z-value, that value remains constant for all objects CHSPACE'd through that viewport, and any object with that z-value that is CHSPACE'd back again will be moved back to a z-value of 0 (or wherever it started).  So the value is changed by the same amount in the opposite direction, depending which space you're moving from/to.

I find it slightly annoying, but it's never bothered me too much.  So I've never investigated it any more than what I just explained.

If you find that objects are moving horizontally, that is a different matter.  So you use CHSPACE and you can see the object move over a bit?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 12
Jay_B
in reply to: troma

I tried this with "Profile" and "Plan" type viewports and found if a rectangle at elevation 200 is moved from a

1"=30' viewport using Layout to Model with CHSPACE it multiplies the Z value by the VP scale.

200*30=6,000

If I do the same with a zero elevation rectangle the Z stays at zero when moved from Layout to Model.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

1"=30' viewport using Layout to Model with CHSPACE it multiplies the Z value by the VP scale.

200*30=6,000

If I do the same with a zero elevation rectangle the Z stays at zero when moved from Layout to Model.

Your right. The CHSPACE command scales the entity to maintain the relative size from Model to Paper space and back. I hadn't thought of that because I don't have anything (or want anything) at elevation in Paperspace.

Good thinking!

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
troma

Does it to me all the time with lines & xlines drawn at zero elevation.  The z-value applied will be different for different viewports although the viewports are at the same scale.  Did this in LDD 2006, C3D 2008, C3D 2011.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 12
Jay_B
in reply to: troma

"Does it to me all the time with lines & xlines drawn at zero elevation."

Interesting, Line segments also stay at zero for me in Plan or Prof VP type, maybe a version thing? I'm on 2012.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 11 of 12
doben

I too have experienced this problem for as long as the chspace command has existed. I've posted it previously but never got anywhere. It happens only on some drawings and when it does it happens on all viewports every time the command is used and the elevation change is always the same e.g. -40.27.  I've never had the object(s) shift in the x.y. direction though.

Message 12 of 12
sboon

I've been playing around with this and found that I can set the value for the ELEVATION variable in one layout to be different than it is in modelspace or other paperspace layouts.  In the layout with the variable set to something other than zero everything I draw is at that elevation and if I use CHSPACE for those objects then they end up at some scaled elevation in modelspace.

May not be the same issue but hopefully useful information.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report