Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Geometry in Corridors

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
291 Views, 13 Replies

Vertical Geometry in Corridors

I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal curves, spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can sample additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done automatically, or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish list if it can't be done. Matt Kolberg
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Matt. You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your create corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and insert a new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end stations the same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific station on the vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works. Robert Howell "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal curves, > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can sample > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done automatically, > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish list if it > can't be done. > > Matt Kolberg > >
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Too early in the morning. Can it be done automatically...... No. I dont believe so. The only ones that are done automatically are those found in the Edit Command Settings - Creat Corridor dialog box. Profile Geometry Points = True. "Landman" wrote in message news:41af4c51$1_3@newsprd01... > Matt. > > You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your create > corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and insert a > new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end stations the > same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific station on the > vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works. > > Robert Howell > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal curves, > > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can sample > > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done > automatically, > > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish list if > it > > can't be done. > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > >
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Matt here is a fast way to add vertical geo points into your sample list. Under frequency to apply to assemblies box pick on the plus move your cursor to the location on your profile when stationary the box will tell you the station relative the horizontal but below it will tell you the station relative the vertical just enter the station and repeat for each critical location on the vertical. Hope this helps "Landman" wrote in message news:41af4cf7$1_2@newsprd01... > Too early in the morning. Can it be done automatically...... No. I dont > believe so. The only ones that are done automatically are those found in the > Edit Command Settings - Creat Corridor dialog box. Profile Geometry Points = > True. > > > "Landman" wrote in message > news:41af4c51$1_3@newsprd01... > > Matt. > > > > You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your create > > corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and insert a > > new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end stations the > > same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific station on the > > vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works. > > > > Robert Howell > > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > > news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal curves, > > > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can sample > > > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done > > automatically, > > > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish list > if > > it > > > can't be done. > > > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll have to do it that way until Autodesk adds this as an automatic feature. "Landman" wrote in message news:41afa0c0$1_3@newsprd01... > Matt here is a fast way to add vertical geo points into your sample list. > > Under frequency to apply to assemblies box pick on the plus > > move your cursor to the location on your profile > when stationary the box will tell you the station relative the > horizontal but below it will tell you the station relative the vertical > > just enter the station and repeat for each critical location on the > vertical. > > Hope this helps > > > "Landman" wrote in message > news:41af4cf7$1_2@newsprd01... > > Too early in the morning. Can it be done automatically...... No. I dont > > believe so. The only ones that are done automatically are those found in > the > > Edit Command Settings - Creat Corridor dialog box. Profile Geometry Points > = > > True. > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > news:41af4c51$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Matt. > > > > > > You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your create > > > corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and insert > a > > > new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end stations the > > > same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific station on > the > > > vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works. > > > > > > Robert Howell > > > > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > > > news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal > curves, > > > > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can sample > > > > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done > > > automatically, > > > > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish list > > if > > > it > > > > can't be done. > > > > > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Hey Matt; I have to ask if they ever added this function to LDT? Mr. Simeone, I would place this function high on the wish list, as probably easy to handle to boot (at least for the "extreme" geometry points - High/Low points). Since you have the vertical geometry being dynamically updated, it should be fairly easy to acquire the Crest and Sag stations "on the fly". The hard part is getting all of us to agree to only place PVIs at whole unit stations at a minimum. I know that asking for PVIs at only 25 unit intervals is asking way too much. Then we have to decide on whether to allow Relative or Actual stationing intervals. I guess it would depend on whether we like to stay on good terms with our survey crews or don't care how long it takes them to write those odd stations down on the lath. Maybe this isn't as easy as it first seemed, huh? "Variables" sounds like a pretty apt name to me. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message news:41b4a095$1_2@newsprd01... > Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll have to do it that way until Autodesk adds > this as an automatic feature. > > > "Landman" wrote in message > news:41afa0c0$1_3@newsprd01... > > Matt here is a fast way to add vertical geo points into your sample list. > > > > Under frequency to apply to assemblies box pick on the plus > > > > move your cursor to the location on your profile > > when stationary the box will tell you the station relative the > > horizontal but below it will tell you the station relative the vertical > > > > just enter the station and repeat for each critical location on the > > vertical. > > > > Hope this helps > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > news:41af4cf7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Too early in the morning. Can it be done automatically...... No. I dont > > > believe so. The only ones that are done automatically are those found in > > the > > > Edit Command Settings - Creat Corridor dialog box. Profile Geometry > Points > > = > > > True. > > > > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > > news:41af4c51$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > Matt. > > > > > > > > You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your > create > > > > corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and > insert > > a > > > > new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end stations > the > > > > same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific station on > > the > > > > vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works. > > > > > > > > Robert Howell > > > > > > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > > > > news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal > > curves, > > > > > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can sample > > > > > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done > > > > automatically, > > > > > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish > list > > > if > > > > it > > > > > can't be done. > > > > > > > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Matt, Landman and Don Thanks for your contribution on this subject and the requirement is noted. This spun off a meaningful discussion among some of us. Don - About vertical geometry points as assembly insertion locations (and therefore sample lines creation) is already in Civil 3D 2005). Thanks for your input again. Chakri Autodesk "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41b680c7$1_3@newsprd01... > Hey Matt; > > I have to ask if they ever added this function to LDT? > > Mr. Simeone, I would place this function high on the wish list, as probably > easy to handle to boot (at least for the "extreme" geometry points - > High/Low points). Since you have the vertical geometry being dynamically > updated, it should be fairly easy to acquire the Crest and Sag stations "on > the fly". > > The hard part is getting all of us to agree to only place PVIs at whole unit > stations at a minimum. I know that asking for PVIs at only 25 unit intervals > is asking way too much. Then we have to decide on whether to allow Relative > or Actual stationing intervals. I guess it would depend on whether we like > to stay on good terms with our survey crews or don't care how long it takes > them to write those odd stations down on the lath. > > Maybe this isn't as easy as it first seemed, huh? "Variables" sounds like a > pretty apt name to me. > > -- > Don Reichle > "King Of Work-Arounds" > Barghausen Consulting Engineers > Kent, WA USA > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > On WIN2K SP4 > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > 512MB RAM > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > news:41b4a095$1_2@newsprd01... > > Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll have to do it that way until Autodesk adds > > this as an automatic feature. > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > news:41afa0c0$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Matt here is a fast way to add vertical geo points into your sample > list. > > > > > > Under frequency to apply to assemblies box pick on the plus > > > > > > move your cursor to the location on your profile > > > when stationary the box will tell you the station relative the > > > horizontal but below it will tell you the station relative the vertical > > > > > > just enter the station and repeat for each critical location on the > > > vertical. > > > > > > Hope this helps > > > > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > > news:41af4cf7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > Too early in the morning. Can it be done automatically...... No. I > dont > > > > believe so. The only ones that are done automatically are those found > in > > > the > > > > Edit Command Settings - Creat Corridor dialog box. Profile Geometry > > Points > > > = > > > > True. > > > > > > > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > > > news:41af4c51$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > > Matt. > > > > > > > > > > You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your > > create > > > > > corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and > > insert > > > a > > > > > new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end stations > > the > > > > > same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific station > on > > > the > > > > > vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works. > > > > > > > > > > Robert Howell > > > > > > > > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > > > > > news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal > > > curves, > > > > > > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can > sample > > > > > > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done > > > > > automatically, > > > > > > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a wish > > list > > > > if > > > > > it > > > > > > can't be done. > > > > > > > > > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for pointing that out, Chakri. It seems from the thread that it may have found its way into a rather "out of the way" location, since the original poster and most of the subsequent comments sound as if they don't know where to find it. A picture is worth... Would you mind doing a screen capture, and posting the place to set the True/False statement. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message news:41b6fb8b_2@newsprd01... > Matt, Landman and Don > > Thanks for your contribution on this subject and the requirement is noted. > This spun off a meaningful discussion among some of us. > > Don - About vertical geometry points as assembly insertion locations (and > therefore sample lines creation) is already in Civil 3D 2005). > > Thanks for your input again. > Chakri > Autodesk > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:41b680c7$1_3@newsprd01... > > Hey Matt; > > > > I have to ask if they ever added this function to LDT? > > > > Mr. Simeone, I would place this function high on the wish list, as > probably > > easy to handle to boot (at least for the "extreme" geometry points - > > High/Low points). Since you have the vertical geometry being dynamically > > updated, it should be fairly easy to acquire the Crest and Sag stations > "on > > the fly". > > > > The hard part is getting all of us to agree to only place PVIs at whole > unit > > stations at a minimum. I know that asking for PVIs at only 25 unit > intervals > > is asking way too much. Then we have to decide on whether to allow > Relative > > or Actual stationing intervals. I guess it would depend on whether we like > > to stay on good terms with our survey crews or don't care how long it > takes > > them to write those odd stations down on the lath. > > > > Maybe this isn't as easy as it first seemed, huh? "Variables" sounds like > a > > pretty apt name to me. > > > > -- > > Don Reichle > > "King Of Work-Arounds" > > Barghausen Consulting Engineers > > Kent, WA USA > > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > > On WIN2K SP4 > > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > > 512MB RAM > > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > > > > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > > news:41b4a095$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll have to do it that way until Autodesk > adds > > > this as an automatic feature. > > > > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > > news:41afa0c0$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > Matt here is a fast way to add vertical geo points into your sample > > list. > > > > > > > > Under frequency to apply to assemblies box pick on the plus > > > > > > > > move your cursor to the location on your profile > > > > when stationary the box will tell you the station relative the > > > > horizontal but below it will tell you the station relative the > vertical > > > > > > > > just enter the station and repeat for each critical location on the > > > > vertical. > > > > > > > > Hope this helps > > > > > > > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > > > news:41af4cf7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > Too early in the morning. Can it be done automatically...... No. I > > dont > > > > > believe so. The only ones that are done automatically are those > found > > in > > > > the > > > > > Edit Command Settings - Creat Corridor dialog box. Profile Geometry > > > Points > > > > = > > > > > True. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Landman" wrote in message > > > > > news:41af4c51$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > > > Matt. > > > > > > > > > > > > You could try to insert a region at a specific station under your > > > create > > > > > > corridor dialog box. Just right click on your baseline sample and > > > insert > > > > a > > > > > > new region using the same assembly. Make the start and end > stations > > > the > > > > > > same. You will have to enter a new region for each specific > station > > on > > > > the > > > > > > vertical curve. I have not tried it yet. Let me know if this > works. > > > > > > > > > > > > Robert Howell > > > > > > > > > > > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > > > > > > news:41af44f2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > > I see that I can add additional sample points within horizontal > > > > curves, > > > > > > > spirals etc in a corridor. I can't seem to find where I can > > sample > > > > > > > additional stations within vertical curves. Can this be done > > > > > > automatically, > > > > > > > or would I have to specify stations manually? Add this to a > wish > > > list > > > > > if > > > > > > it > > > > > > > can't be done. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Ta da -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator Don Reichle wrote: > Thanks for pointing that out, Chakri. It seems from the thread that it may > have found its way into a rather "out of the way" location, since the > original poster and most of the subsequent comments sound as if they don't > know where to find it. > > A picture is worth... > > Would you mind doing a screen capture, and posting the place to set the > True/False statement. >
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, Karl. But unfortunately the ad hid the best part (see below). If at first we don't succeed... :-) -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:41b77dd8_3@newsprd01... > Ta da > > -- > Karl Fuls PLS > Autocad AEC Training and Consulting > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator > > Don Reichle wrote: > > > Thanks for pointing that out, Chakri. It seems from the thread that it may > > have found its way into a rather "out of the way" location, since the > > original poster and most of the subsequent comments sound as if they don't > > know where to find it. > > > > A picture is worth... > > > > Would you mind doing a screen capture, and posting the place to set the > > True/False statement. > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Try this... -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator Don Reichle wrote: > Thanks, Karl. > > But unfortunately the ad hid the best part (see below). > > If at first we don't succeed... :-) >
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, Karl; I appreciate specificity - you showed the entire path with that one. Great job! -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Karl Fuls" wrote in message news:41b99e2b_1@newsprd01... > Try this... > > > -- > Karl Fuls PLS > Autocad AEC Training and Consulting > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator > > > Don Reichle wrote: > > > Thanks, Karl. > > > > But unfortunately the ad hid the best part (see below). > > > > If at first we don't succeed... :-) > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, guys, I am aware that Civil3D will sample profile geometry points, but I imagine that it would only sample BVC, EVC and maybe PVI. I would like it to be treated like a horiz curve and have the option of sampling closer that tangents: For example, I'd like to see this is that same dialog: Tangents every: 25m Curves every: 10m Spirals every: 10m Vertical curves every: 10m "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41b9be9a_3@newsprd01... > Thanks, Karl; > > I appreciate specificity - you showed the entire path with that one. > > Great job! > > -- > Don Reichle > "King Of Work-Arounds" > Barghausen Consulting Engineers > Kent, WA USA > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > On WIN2K SP4 > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > 512MB RAM > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > > > "Karl Fuls" wrote in message > news:41b99e2b_1@newsprd01... > > Try this... > > > > > > -- > > Karl Fuls PLS > > Autocad AEC Training and Consulting > > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator > > > > > > Don Reichle wrote: > > > > > Thanks, Karl. > > > > > > But unfortunately the ad hid the best part (see below). > > > > > > If at first we don't succeed... :-) > > > > > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- > ---- > > > > >
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Chakri and I actually talked about this request while we were in Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised to see this implemented in the product. Maybe not in the next release, but sooner than later. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D2005

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report