Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version choice

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
teflon
476 Views, 10 Replies

Version choice

I have 3 versions of Civil3d on my pc (don not ask why!).

Is there a way to choose which one would be the default one starting by clicking on a arbitrary dwg?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: teflon

Hi,
actually when double clicking a .dwg file it should open with the last AutoCAD program that was opened before.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

by default Windows should start the C3D-version that was started last time. So if you started C3D 2013 last time, close it and double click onto a DWG-file in the Windows explorer the 2013-release should be started.

You can right-click the DWG-file ==> "Open with ..." and here you find the option for selecting the default application; instead of the "AutoCAD DWG Launcher" (which handles the "what was started previously") you can now select the ACAD.EXE file of that release you want to start by default.

Another option is to start C3D (whatever version you like) and do then the double-click in the Windows explorer ... the AutoCAD DWG Launcher sees then that an AutoCAD instance is already open and forwards the double click to the already running ACAD.EXE.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 11
teflon

These solutions should work but they do not!

If I save a file using 2012 clicking on the file starts 2013 version!

I have some programs working only with 2012 that is the reason I do not wqant to update all files to 2013 version.

Message 5 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> These solutions should work but they do not!

Which solutions don't work? If you open Civil3D 2012 and then double click a DWG in Windows Explorer you get that drawing opened in C3D 2013?

>> If I save a file using 2012 clicking on the file starts 2013 version!

If you right-click the DWG in Windows Explorer, then goto "Open With ..." what is the default program?

BTW: you closed 2012 after then or was it left open?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 11
wfberry

Well you know the safe way, use the FILE OPEN dropdown from the version you want.

Bill

Message 7 of 11
jmayo-EE

Try this.

Close all acad sessions. Find a dwg in Windows Explorer and right click on it. Select Open WIth and then select Choose DEfault Program. Set the default program to the AutoCAD DWG Launcher.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

And make sure the, 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' box is checked.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: wfberry

+1.  Given the number of applications that use DWG (AutoCAD, Civil3D, Navisworks, Map3D, Trueview, just to name a few), plus the different profiles available, *AND* the importance of using the correct version for the vertical products, it just makes sense to open the correct software first.  Once there you don't even have to do file-open, just drag the selected files onto the command line.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 11
kbiggs

I too have multiple versions and profiles for Civil 3D. I have found the only way to open a drawing using a specific Civil 3D version or profile is to have my desktop shortcuts for each version in my Windows "Send To" folder. That allows me to right click on a drawing, select "Send To" and pick the specific version to use.

Have a look at this link, it explains how to set it up:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/customize-the-windows-vista-send-to-menu/

Hope this helps,

Keith Biggs

Chair, CAD Standards Committee & Senior CAD Technician

R.F. Binnie & Associates Ltd.

Leading in Quality: OQM certified March 2013.

Message 11 of 11
teflon

Thanks everybody for the answers!

Now I have an idea what to do!

Best Regards!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report