Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Trackig. wheres the buzz?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Joe-Bouza
488 Views, 18 Replies

Vehicle Trackig. wheres the buzz?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vehicle-tracking/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/watch-v-JrML...

Don't know how this got past me? Ayone care to share there experience?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I installed a demo but I didn't have time to do much with it. Autodesk acquired AutoTrack from Savoy a year or so ago. I tried Autotrack back in 2006 and it was a good rival to Auto Turn

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 19
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

...and the main advantage when it was by Savoy Computing was that it came with SavoyCAD which meant that AutoCAD wasn't required to run the program.

In the UK, Autotrack is used a lot for wind turbine component transport problems. I've downloaded it although haven't installed yet but I think I'd have a tough job trying to justify the purchase......:(

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 19
Cadguru42

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vehicle-tracking/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/watch-v-JrML...

Don't know how this got past me? Ayone care to share there experience?

We've had a license of AutoTURN for over a decade, but hate how cumbersome it is to use. I got a quote for it and my boss sent it through IT to get it purchased, but the IT director asked many ignorant questions, such as "I know what vehicle tracking is, but what does this software do? How does it track where vehicles are in real time?" We tried explaining it's for vehicle turning paths and she still didn't get it and has so far refused to approve the request. Our idiotic leaders a couple of years ago thought it'd be better if all software and hardware purchases went through the IT department regardless of if they understood the needs of the users. This is one example of why we clash with our IT department so much. 

After the initial purchase, the subscription cost for the Autodesk solution is almost half the cost of AutoTURN, which is one of the reasons we are trying to switch. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Cadguru42

Thats a tough IT department you have there.

Thanks for the input on the licensing thats helpful info

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 19
Jay_B

Joe,

I've not used it but have seen several demos and it does a lot more than AutoTurn.

We are currently using AutoTurn.

• A parking lot layout tool.
  • Built in Roundabout design including creating a dynamic corridor of Roundabout.
  • 3d Vehicle animations for turning movements.

Here's an AU class Conceptualizing Roundabout Designs and Trying Out Multiple Solutions if interested in seeing more about it.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 19
volusiajim
in reply to: Cadguru42

Heck...I finally won the battle to get 64 bit machines.  It helps when they finally realize what subscription and not supported anymore means.  To bad I need to wait another 6 months.  I am glad I have ya'll for help because our IT is worthless for Cad.

Jim Anderson

Volusia County Public Works

Computer Specs:

3 Legged Gerbil

4 gigs of ram

C3D 2012

Message 8 of 19
jmayo-EE

I have used it for a number of years as a Savoy product. It is a great program for veh tracking. All the vehicles you need plus the custom variety which I have used often to demostrate that the town's biggest fire truck could get through a site.

I like the new parking layout features. I can finally get all those spaces on a curves without geometric gymnastics. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yes! The parking caught my eye immediately. Curves and dynamic total. it seems like a no brainer.

Now if I could figure out why my trial version says no license found that would be great. 🙂

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 19
jmayo-EE

When you install you should be prompted for a 30 day trial or to enter a serial number and keycode. You need to select the trial. If you installed more than 30 days ago as a trial the trial is over and you may be prompted as you stated.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
DarrenP

are you running network licenses of the autocad products?

if you are the vehicle tracking trial will not work

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: DarrenP

Period? end of story? no work around? do you think it would run with a borrowed license?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
Joe-Bouza

nope doesn't help

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I selected trial. Evidently it does not work if the host is run off a network license? who thought of that?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
DarrenP

this is how raster design is also

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Installation-VehicleTr...

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
DarrenP

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Period? end of story? no work around? do you think it would run with a borrowed license?

workaround is here: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Valid-L...

vehicle tracking requires its own separate license it does not use a suite license or an autocad based license

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
LeafRiders

As far as the software expereince itself. I'm going to be using it primarily for parking and as an AutoTurn replacement for swept path analysis. The abiity to dynamically edit the swept paths are far beyond the cumbersome nature of AutoTurn. The added ability to workthrough roundabout design is a significant upside to using AVT over AutoTurn. The ability to set the specs for the roundabout design is a key component to meet the parameters required in your jurisdiction. I would like to see them add the TAC specifications to the default library. The parking tools are pretty slick I must say.

Message 18 of 19
Joe-Bouza

Thank you Darren.
I got waylaid, and did get to the reinstall. In the work around they say >> uninstall>> reinstall as "network" >> then move <something.LIC file but they dont say to where. Presumably to our license server?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
DarrenP

no you move it here
:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Vehicle Tracking 2015

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report