Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varying offset Sidewalk

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
BYNUMFANYO8656
2186 Views, 12 Replies

Varying offset Sidewalk

Can someone help me? We have just started using Civil 3D. I need to be able to create an assembly that will place a sidewalk at varying offsets (it is too random to make seperate assemblies). I have tried making an alignment of the back of the walk and attemted to use targets in the corridor to achieve this, but with no luck. Do any of you have any experience in doing this? I will attempt to attach the DWG that I am working on. The Main alignment is PR-1 as is the corridor and the alignment that i need the back of the walk to follow is PR-1 BWR. Thanks for any help that I can get.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
el_nath
in reply to: BYNUMFANYO8656

Have you tried the Urban Sidewalk Subaasembly?  You can override the default sidewalk width values with that of a targeted horizontal geometry object.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 3 of 13
BYNUMFANYO8656
in reply to: el_nath

Yes, urban sidewalk is the sub assembly I am currently using. I am trying to get my file small enough to upload here...

Message 4 of 13

Okay, it seems that I canNOT make this drawing small enough for upload. Anyone got any help still?

Message 5 of 13

There are two ways to do this

1. Make the offset aligment at the inside edge of the sidewalk and use that alignment as a target for the "Inside Boulevard Width"

2. Add an offset assembly to your assembly and move the sidewalk and daylights to that. Depending on the side that you add the sidewalk to, you can then use an alignment that will be on the inside or outside edge of the sidewalk.

In the first case the sidewalk will be measured perp. to the centerline and in the second it will be measured perp. to the secondary alignment.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 13
sboon
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

It may also be appropriate for you to create an entirely separate assembly for the sidewalk and then use either a separate corridor or a second baseline on your road corridor.  This will allow you to deal with the two parts of the design independently.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 13

And before you choose which method (all one corridor or separate corridors) do consider the workload due to the differences.

If it is all one corridor with multiple baselines, you will have a very complex corridor.  Naming your regions with consistent & well-chosen names will help a lot.  Also, your material calculations will be simpler, and you will only need one set of sample lines.

The second method, using multiple corridors, can be easier to manage as each corridor is smaller and simpler.  But material calculations and generating cross-sections becomes a lot of work.  Each corridor will need its own set of sample lines, and you will have to add all the material quantities at the end to get your final totals. 

Another advantage in using the method suggested by Peter is that your assembly will be able to handle the gap between the roadway and the sidewalk and you will get a material volume for that region. 

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 8 of 13
aesign
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Yah, i'am also having a problem with offset alignment.. are there any methods on making this possible.

i attached here is my dilemma in the matter of varying sidewalks on intersections.

thanks! 

Message 9 of 13
fcernst
in reply to: aesign

Post the drawing so I can take a look at your Corridor setup.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 13
aesign
in reply to: fcernst

Hi fcernst...

Here is the attachment regarding the last post...

thanks! 

Message 11 of 13
fcernst

You just need to set your sidewalk Targets for that Region:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 13
aesign
in reply to: fcernst

Already did that.. here is a sample of what i did... i attached it for further understanding..

thanks in advance! 

Message 13 of 13
fcernst

A couple things:

You have now tried using a couple of "Alignments" for your sidewalk targets, but you still are not targeting fully correctly for the Urban Sidewalk subassembly , try again.

The corridor did not like those Alignments for some reason (corruption) and was not Rebuilding.

....Below I used your 2D linework for Targeting:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report