Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varying Height Retaining Wall

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
anthonytillemans
8140 Views, 11 Replies

Varying Height Retaining Wall

I am having trouble creating a retaining wall subassembly that is equipped with varying height in order to follow an existing ground surface. I would like to find out how to attatch a point towards the top of the wall to the existing ground surface, so the wall height automatically adjusts to reach the top of the road cut.

The design is for a basic road along a steep slope. Before proceeding with the left side of the assembly, I wanted to create this varying height retaining wall.  

I have attached an image of the assembly for reference. The ultmite goal would be to have the wall height vary along the corridor to meet the existing ground just below the top of wall.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Using Civil 3D 2013

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
fcernst
in reply to: anthonytillemans

This is what the RetainWallVertical subassembly does.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 12

Using the RetainWallVertical, what parameter would be the appropriate one to attach to the surface? I'm assuming it would be the Top Height. 

I'm not sure how to attach parameters to the target surface. I've tried going through the Assembly Properties, under the Construction tab, and using Parameter Reference, but I don't see the correct option available in the "Get Value From" dropdown list. 

Message 4 of 12
sjg
Advisor

It will be a target within your corridor, similar to a target for daylighting.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 5 of 12
anthonytillemans
in reply to: sjg

Where in the settings do I go to specify the target?

Message 6 of 12
sjg
Advisor

See attached image. Select corridor, right click, select corridor properties, Under the parameter tab, select set all target, you should see RetainWallVeritcal under the surfaces section. set your surface you want the wall to daylight to.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 7 of 12
anthonytillemans
in reply to: sjg

Thanks heaps

Message 8 of 12
sjg
Advisor

Please pick Accept as Solution, if that answered your question.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 9 of 12

Thanks again for the previous help. I was able to link the top of the retaining wall to the existing surface, but now I would like to link the wall footing to a certain depth relative to the same existing surface. 

Essentially, I want to maintain a 5' width of horizontal cover between the left edge of the footing and the existing surface. I believe this could be accomplished by somehow creating a variable footing cover height relative to a 5' horizontal distance from the surface in combination with a daylight subassembly.

The purpose of this 5' horizontal cover is to eliminate the need for a fill slope stemming off the back of the wall. The proposed road location is along a very steep slope where a fill slope is undesirable. With the footing being buried deep enough, no fill slope will be needed. 

I have attached an image of my assembly with some text to detail my idea.

Any help would be great.  

Thanks in advance

Message 10 of 12
fcernst

"The proposed road location is along a very steep slope where a fill slope is undesirable."

This wall scenario may be a better choice for this stretch of steep slope where you don't have much lateral purchase. Also, your 5' offset scenario doesn't necessaritly ensure a minimum footing depth is always achieved.

Coordinate with your structural engineer on this.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 12
anthonytillemans
in reply to: fcernst

I tried the RetainWallToLowSide subassembly and ran it through the corridor, but I'm still having trouble burying the bottom of the wall deep enough below the design profile. 

I have attached another image illustrating an example of a problem area at a station along the alignment. As you can see, the bottom of the retaining wall isn't deep enough and protrudes out of the slope. I want it to be buried deep enough so that there exists the 5' horizontal cover from the bottom of the wall outwards.

Message 12 of 12
fcernst

It got flipped on you because you went into a little bit of Cut on that side.  You could use a Conditional Cut/Fill on that side  and control the Side parameter for this wall Subassembly on this steep slope side. If you flip the Side parameter and specify an appropriate Footing Cover everything should look reasonable.

If you really want that 5' offset footing cover/depth, I think you're going to have to go SAC on it, because the footing cover for this SA will not  take an elevation.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report