Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBA Conversion

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Pointdump
2543 Views, 7 Replies

VBA Conversion

I'm doing some tutorials. The last two things I've worked on are a Pressure Pipe Network and a Grading Plan for a pond. Now I get this:

VBA.PNG

What's a VBA, and why is it "no longer installed?" Best course of action? Deal with it in that dialogue box or beforehand in the menus?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi,

>> What's a VBA

VBA is "Visual Basic for Applications", a plugin API for developers to be able to control AutoCAD with tools/applications written in programming language "Visual-Basic".

>> and why is it "no longer installed?"

Basically because AutoCAD was ported to 64bit (years ago now) but Microsoft (as owner and developer of VBA) did not port it to 64bit, just 32bit. With that decission Autodesk have got a problem, they have a lot of customers having some VBA-code running but no VBA-module for 64bit. Well, a lot of VBA-code is running now out in the world, Autodesk had a workaround built to get the 32bit-VBA running with AutoCAD 64bit, performance was quite slow because of technical reasons (running outside the AutoCAD's internal adress-space), but at least working.

Autodesk started to force VBA developers to port their applications/tools to .net, and for some reasons (forcing to .NET is one of them) the VBA is excluded from the basic setup of AutoCAD (and verticals).

In the meantime things changed, e.g. now Microsoft has a 64bit VBA module (version 7.1), but up to now Autodesk has not made it back, so also for 2014 it's not part of the standard setup.

>> Best course of action?

Let Civil3D do the "Convert VBA content to .NET" and save the drawing, content within the drawing (rules for pipes, maybe reports also) is then converted and will not be asked anymore when you open that drawing.

So it's maximum of one question per drawing, If you get asked ==> convert it ==> save the drawing, ready.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you Alfred! That answered my question.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 4 of 8
troma
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I'm still confused.
Why would you get this message when working in a 2014 tutorial drawing?
Why do I get it in 2013 and 2011, when opening a drawing that I was just working in a few minutes previously with no errors?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/VBA-to-NET/m-p/3749415

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: troma

troma,

I inserted two blocks as part of the tutorials I was working on. One was a Tee Valve in a pressure pipe system and the other was a polyline for the shape of a pond. I forgot to save in between doing each tutorial. After that was when I got the VBA message. I also now have this whenever I want to open a drawing:

VBA_2.png

What those two icons (DST?) are above my tutorial drawing I have no clue. But I suspect a VBA was involved with both.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 8
troma
in reply to: Pointdump
Message 7 of 8
Pointdump

troma,

So the DST file is from the Sheet Set Manager? I did that tutorial just before the tut's that I thought caused the problem. I don't understand Jeff's instructions, but I downloaded the zip file and I'll go see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the links.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 8 of 8
Pointdump

troma,

Jeff's program works great and it really is self-explanatory. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report