Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using sheet set manager remotely

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jgalyon
537 Views, 3 Replies

Using sheet set manager remotely

I work remotely (aka from home) and need to be able to work on some drawings/layouts that utilize sheet set manager. I can use remote desktop over VPN to access files, but it is too slow to efficiently work if I leave the files on the server, so I copy them to my computer before working. Is there a way to work on a set of drawings that are using sheet set manager without working on the server copy? Can I copy (or have them send me) a certain file(s) that will allow me to manipulate the drawing/sheet set and then send it back to them? Any help is appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jgalyon

I have not tested this but I would think you would have success by mimicking the exact file path on your home PC if your company uses mapped network drives. You could then copy the files via vpn, ddit the sheet set and files as needed and copy back when you are done. If all of the paths are the same I would think everything would work. I do this often with Xref's and DRef's and have no issues but have not tried with sheet sets.

Make a new partition on and existing drive or get an new external drive and map it at home just as it is at the office.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
doni49
in reply to: jgalyon

No new partition/drive needed.

Create a folder on your local PC (c:\projects\).
Start > Run > Cmd
Net Use P c:\projects\

This will tell your pc to treat c:\projects\ as though it is the p drive. Then from there build out the path as needed. If you need to emulate another network drive, do the same thing for that drive. Of course, change the drive letters as required.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 4
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I just realized that I forgot a step.  After creating the folder on your local hard drive, you'll have to configure that folder to be "shared".  Then the net use command will actually look something like this:

Net Use p: \\localhost\Sharename

And yes, I would use localhost -- unless you've deviated from the norm in a MAJOR way, windows sees the local computer as "localhost".

Once you've created your "shared folder", you could actually click Toos>Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer and do this graphically.  I've used the command line for so long, I forgot all about this option.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report