Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using fields in AutoCAD tables linked to excel

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
TheHound
5636 Views, 9 Replies

Using fields in AutoCAD tables linked to excel

Hello all,

I just began messing around with linking excel and autocad (disappointed that you can't link to .xlsm but that will go on the wish list). I was wondering if there was already a post as to how to not lose your fields when you download from source. I have a table that has fields from my sheet set with drawing names etc...but everytime I click download from source it converts the field to plain text. Any work arounds?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
LeafRiders
in reply to: TheHound

Abandon ship...

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with Excel to Civil 3D / AutoCAD. I've dropped Excel sheets directly into AutoCAD and updated the Excel file with a right-click update OLE (I think it's an OLE). There are options to insert Excel files differently. I've done this successfully. I try to stay away from AutoCADs tables, and linking these to excel seems like a little over ambitious, IMO.

Message 3 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Can you describe in more detail what you are doing, i.e breadth of data exchange. What is coming from SSM that needs to be tied to Excel?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 10
TheHound
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I am mainly getting and entering data from acad and migrating to excel. The data in the acad table is being populated from SSM (Drawing Name, Description, Rev No/date). On the excel side I am just using the acad data to populate what statistics I need. As users update the sheet set (New numbering/descriptions/revs) and I write the new data to the source file a message pops up saying I need to update the data link. While the excel sheet does update with the new data, updating converts the field in acad to plain text. Hope this answers your question.  Before Update.png

Message 5 of 10
MikeEvansUK

I think I understand. You have AutoCAD fields linking to the sheet set drawing sheet & number etc populating to an excel sheet. Once you update from externally linked excel the link to ssm is broken and it will be text as that's what excel has. Try creating two tables, one linked to ssm, export the data to excel. The other linjed to the exported but only to the columns you want to link and be editable in excel. That should do it unless anyone else has any ideas.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza

I was going to head where Mike went with multiple tables, but I would first explore adding custome fields to SSM for the users to edit and create the SSM list with the custom fieldsand have one cohesive package.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 10
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yea Joe, that would do it too. Better solution really due to less work arounds but. Only if everyone uses AutoCAD. If you want to share with others for editing two tables is your only option.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 10
TheHound

So just to follow up on this...I have two tables. The first table is the acad table and contains fields that get whatever information I need from acad be it from SSM or w/e. The second table is the data linked table and some columns are linked by formulas to the acad table. Here is how it looks in acad (sorry if this pic comes in terrible):

DATALINK 1.png

These are the settings I have used for the data linked table:

DATALINK 1.png

These settings allow me to either accept whats in excel (plain text) or keep the formatting that I have in acad (formulas linked to the acad table) when the excel file is updated and saved:

DATALINK 3.png

Everything is working the way I want it to accept that I cannot not link the two material columns by way of a formula. It just comes up as ####. Any suggestions?

Message 9 of 10
MikeEvansUK

Are the columns wide enough for the text in the table, sometimes is a problem. Otherwise can you submit the data files as the images are a bit Lego bricked.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English

Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza

RC the table>>> data format and make sure it is a number type

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report