Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Description Keys with Linework

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
abmobile1981
958 Views, 5 Replies

Using Description Keys with Linework

I currently use Leica Viva Smartworks for surveying and it captures the linework codes in its own field, so when I export my CSV file my Descrition comes on with the feature code but the linework code is another field. Is their a way that using the Format field in the description Key that I can get the Full description field to read something like "V-DOMW-PIPE B", which would pull the feature code from the raw descrition field and the begin line code from the Linework field. Any assistance in this wouldbe greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: abmobile1981

I asked this question about 6 months ago or so, unfortuatley even the Lieca reps are not of much assistance, the Viva data collection software codes with attributes and the only method I have come up with is to code just like carlson/trimble do within the description.

The additional fields are of no use and C3D does not recognize them at this time. Basically the Viva software was developed to run on 12D and Microstation, but not C3D or maybe it's C3D that behind in the technology aspect.

Simply but I share you frustration and heartache, wish we had purchased Trimble instead, would have only been a couple of grand difference by the time it was all said and done.

Please note that there is a way of exporting a custom format file but you have to use Leica GeoOffice to set it up which will basically make the attribute field export without the comma and merge the information into the description that can replicate somewhat how C3D wants to see things but it's a little convoluted.

Good Luck, personally I would contact your rep. - Let them ponder it for a while- maybe even ask them why they sold you this when it was not compatible OOTB with C3D (Just venting, as I'm not ver impressed by the software).

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
IanMcClain
in reply to: abmobile1981

Can you input codes in your Leica data collector software with the linework codes in the description, like your example of "V-DOMW-PIPE B"? It allows spaces in the descriptions, right? I use SurveyPro and it has it's own linework codes and routines which I ignore completeley since the end product will be drafted in C3D.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: IanMcClain

Yes you can, this however totally negates the linework that the DC software does, basically were utilizing this method as well and just totally canned the software linework. As it will not import into C3D in an intelligent manner (i.e. survey figures). Also, the DC software will create a fieldbook file but, you loose a lot of features when you go that route and it only has the standard commands of B,E,C,PC and PT and maybe Offset. That why I had us go to just coding in the description and skipping all the other code boxes.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
IanMcClain
in reply to: rl_jackson

It will import into C3D in an intelligent manner, survey figures included, all it needs is a space seperator between the point code and the linework prefix (or suffix in this example, it still works the same). You might be able to import the DC linework via some other file, but why go to the trouble?

The C3D linework prefixes were designed to work with any survey data regardless of where it came from, you just have to cram it all into the description field. One of the downsides is that this doesn't work well for GIS attribute heavy data, but that is a differnent product/workflow. It may be better integrated in the future.

There are a lot of bells and whistles in modern data collector software as they have developed to the point where you can create maps and surfaces without a CAD package, but if your end product is going to be a C3D drawing/project, you can ignore them for the most part.

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: IanMcClain

Yes this is true but currently the OP is using the DC Software method which does not work with C3D. The only way to get the intelligent linework is to replicate the Carlson/Trimble (Survey Pro) method of placing the code in the description field.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report