Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User input in an Expression for Profile Label

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rkmcswain
460 Views, 5 Replies

User input in an Expression for Profile Label

Is there any way to allow user input in an expression for a profile label?

Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BrianHailey
in reply to: rkmcswain

I don't know of any way to get any user input into any label other than directly editing the label. What are you trying to accomplish?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: BrianHailey

Glad you asked.....

In order to correctly calculate the slope, I need to provide the equation with the distance along the curb, not the difference in stations

The current line labels are worthless now since the info is guaranteed to be wrong (unless by chance the curb is parallel to the alignment along a tangent - fairly rare in most of our work.)

I know that enabling a user input field is only slightly better since it would still rely on the user to enter the right number -- but it would allow us to define the other label parameters. Currently we just hardcode the label to say [XX' @ 0.0%] so that we know to fix the length and slope.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
BrianHailey
in reply to: rkmcswain

Aha. So you are labeling the grade of the flowline of your street in the centerline profile view. I'll have to ponder that one for a bit. If I think of something, I'll get back to you. Can you post up a screenshot of what you want? Also, what other information do you have? Do you have a corridor or a featureline for the curb or???

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 6
rkmcswain

@BrianHailey wrote:

Aha. So you are labeling the grade of the flowline of your street in the centerline profile view. I'll have to ponder that one for a bit. If I think of something, I'll get back to you. Can you post up a screenshot of what you want? Also, what other information do you have? Do you have a corridor or a featureline for the curb or???

Yes, we need to show true curb length and grade for the left and right sides, while referencing these points to a CL alignment.

Currently we simply calculate the Sta and Elv for each grade break and creating a profile based on those parameters. The profile graphics are fine, it's the labels that fail.

Feature lines do not help since there is no facility to label the feature line segments in profile. We do not want to use profile view labels since they do not respond to changes (for example, if the elevations of the feature line are modified). See this thread for more info on this issue.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Thats exactly why I trying to get my expressions to work, except I figured I'd label the plan directly to avoid the bogus length and grade quote

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report