Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from C3D 2011 to C3D 2013....

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mmcmanus
896 Views, 12 Replies

Upgrading from C3D 2011 to C3D 2013....

Is it safe to upgrade to C3D 2013 from 2011 at this point or should I wait till SP1 is out? We skipped 2012 completely because of the customizing we have done here and we didn't want to take the time to do it all. Now that 2013 is out, should we install it now or wait for some of the bugs to get worked out?

Also, can we have both 2011 and 2013 installed and available on the same machine to help with any learning curve/bug issues that come up?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: mmcmanus

It is safe to run 2011 and 2013 side-by-side. I have been doing that for a week now with no problems. Autodesk supports multiple versions running on the same system.

Regarding using 2013 now, I know of no bugs, but some are sure to be found. I would be surprised if there's anything so problematic that it would make waiting a better idea. If you wait, you lose the extra speed that 2013 provides.

Regarding a learning curve. If your users know 2011, they already know 2013. It looks and acts the same, there are just some new features. The command line is a little different, but easy to use.

One thing about running both versions: The files are not backwardly compatible, so you will not be able to work on a project in 2013 and then open in 2011. You can bring old files forward with no issues.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Holy cow are you serious?  A new C3D release with no discernable bugs?  If so Autodesk has really turned over a new leaf. 

Have you been using the program fully?  Parcels, corridors, pipe networks, gradings, surfaces...?  If this is all true, that's incredibly good news.

Jeremy

Message 4 of 13
tcorey

I said I know of no bugs. I have been using the release version for a week. One week. In that limited time I have found nothing that does not work. That doesn't mean there are no bugs, only that I have seen none. I don't think my previous response in any way merits your "Holy cow" response.Smiley Wink

There are defects in every version and there will be defects in every version. Personally, I don't let them scare me, but that's me. I know many who wait for the first service pack or only install even-numbered or odd-numbered versions. Maybe there's someone out there waiting for 2017, the next version that's a prime number, or people who won't install 2013, not because of possible bugs, but because they're triscadecaphobic. That's each person's/company's choice. There is no right or wrong answer.

I think the biggest issue that would make you not use 2013 is not a defect, but the lack of support for Google Earth import/export. If you use the Google Earth tools extensively, this could be the deciding factor for you.

Have a great day,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 13
mmcmanus

Is there no support for Google Earth now? Does that mean you can't import an aerial image from Google Earth into 2013 now?

Message 6 of 13
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

The official word on using Google Earth with 2013

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Google-Earth-utilities-with-R2013-products/td-p/34014...

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 13
mmcmanus
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Bummer. I hope they get a work-around soon. I need to be able to bring in aerial images that way. I guess I'll leave 2011 installed for a while until then.

Message 8 of 13
mathewkol

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a workaround or fix. Not that I know of anything, but to me it doesn't feel like there will be anything soon.

triscadecaphobic. - LOL
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 13
neilyj666

Also a point to near in mind is that dlls written prior to 2013 release are unlikely to work without being rewritten and recompiled

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 13
Sinc
in reply to: neilyj666

I've been working with 2013 for a while now, and it seems like a good release.  Much better than 2011, and probably also better than 2012.  But I can't yet give a firm opinion on that - haven't had enough time yet.  I've seen several improvements over 2012, and haven't yet found a REAL killer.  I know some are upset with the lack of Google import, but I never trusted that in the first place, so I don't miss that.

Sinc
Message 11 of 13
neilyj666

Always found google earth import a bit flakey and found export to kmz much more useful

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

I know I am a little late to the discussion here, but after installing C3D 2013, now my 2011 doesn't work with importing Google Earth Images or surfaces.  I get error messages with the feature.  Is there a way to repair 2011 or do I have to uninstall it and reinstall it completely?  This would take a long time.

Autodesk should have disclosed this before installing 2013.  Yikes!!!

Doesn't seem like a work around for importing the surface or images from Google.  This stinks!!!!

Message 13 of 13
neilyj666

project basejump from Autodesk labs works very well for imagery but you are out of luck for google earth in 2013

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report