Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating a template

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rkmcswain
423 Views, 10 Replies

Updating a template

I know you can "pull" styles from a drawing (maybe the template) into your current drawing.

Is there a way to "push" them from the current drawing to another on?

Here is what I am picturing:

Right click on a style on the settings tab and choose "Send to Template" 

"Template" would either be a predefined DWT file or it would open a standard file selection dialog to select one.

....and this would copy the selected style into the template

Am I missing a way to currently do this?

TIA

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Why not just open up your template drawing and use the Import Styles under the manage tab, and import the desired styles from your drawing into your template that way? 

Message 3 of 11
ericcollins6932
in reply to: Anonymous

C3D 2012 and up supports that. 2011 you have to drag and drop.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 11
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:

Why not just open up your template drawing and use the Import Styles under the manage tab, and import the desired styles from your drawing into your template that way? 

(a) You have to open the template (something I don't really want to do multiple times a day)

(2) You have to navigate the tree of settings as opposed to already being there in the Toolspace>Settings

I'm not saying that's not the answer, I know you can do it that way.

I was just hoping/dreaming for a quicker solution.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

You can navigate the tree of settings, but a much easier way is to use the import styles tool. The Import Styles is faster than the old drag n drop method, which as mentioned above is the only way to do it in 2011 and earlier.

I dont see the issue in doing this from within the template, just do it once, put all styles you think you will ever need into it, and run with it. That's the easiest way, there's no real advantage or need for a "push through" option you speak of.

See below:

Import Styles

Message 6 of 11
ToddRogers-WPM

See Randy,

this is why the CAD world needs people like you.  That would be a great feature.  I'm with you on this one Smiley Happy

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 11
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:

You can navigate the tree of settings, but a much easier way is to use the import styles tool. The Import Styles is faster than the old drag n drop method, which as mentioned above is the only way to do it in 2011 and earlier.

-owenmull, you are not understanding the issue here. We already have a template. But, as we work through a new job, changes to the existing styles are needed. So we make this change in the current drawing. Now we want to "push" this style back into the template.

I am fully aware of the 2011 and post-2011 methods for copying styles between drawings, but a one button "push" of the style to the template would save time and eliminate errors.

IIRC - LDT had something similar "Save to Prototype"

Message 8 of 11
sboon

I would like to see a variation on this idea, where I could push styles to multiple drawings.  That way I could make a change in my current file and ensure that it is reflected throughout the project without opening every drawing.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

I would like to see a variation on this idea, where I could push styles to multiple drawings.  That way I could make a change in my current file and ensure that it is reflected throughout the project without opening every drawing.

Yes, I like that too.

Message 10 of 11
wfberry
in reply to: sboon

Perhaps a checkbox could be in SETTINGS.  By checking this box the current drawing could update the styles that have been upgraded in a designated template file.  NOT checked NO update.

Bill

Message 11 of 11
jmayo-EE

This is a VERY good idea. 🙂

It's a pita to update the template with current drawing settings.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report