Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Data Shortcut source dwg not updating

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jbnathan
3511 Views, 4 Replies

Updated Data Shortcut source dwg not updating

I am having an issue with alignments not updating to the latest source drawing.  Initially, the alignment source drawing was in File1.dwg.  Due to a design change, a few of the alignments were revised in a new File2.dwg.  For the first time ever, I used the Data Shortcuts Editor program to repoint the data shortcuts to the new File2 location.  By all accounts, it looks like the data shortcut were updated to the new source drawing (File2). 

The problem is in some files some of the alignments still source to the File1 location and even when manually synchronizing it still sources from File1.  Additionally, it seems random in terms of which alignment and files source to File2, even to the point in some files one alignment will update to File2 and other won’t and some alignments will update in some files but not all.  Note that I am not the original creator of the files so I don’t know much history on the files (no alignments seem promoted however).

Am I doing something incorrectly?  What’s the best way for me to get all the alignments to point to the new data shortcut source drawing location?

Thanks for any assistance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
apweng
in reply to: jbnathan

Data shortcuts are only used to create the reference objects.  Once the reference objects have been created, they exist without the dependence on the data shortcuts.  In other words, name and path for the location of the source objects are saved in the drawing with the reference objects.

The data shortcut editor is only required to change the location if the data shortcut folder has been moved.

A broken reference can occur when the source object drawing has been moved or renamed.  The only way to create a reference to a new object residing in a different drawing is to:

1. Break the reference (by moving the source drawing) and then re-establishing the reference in the new drawing (you will be prompted to do this when you open the drawing with the reference object
  2. Delete the reference object, and recreate the reference object to reference the new location

Reading back through this it seems a bit confusing - anyhow hope it helps.

Andrew

Message 3 of 5
jbnathan

Thanks Andrew.  By re-pathing the source location via the Data Shortcut Editor, I was expecting the reference location  to update (ie when synchronizing) to my new source file.  Sounds like I was mistaken.

As much as I would like to break the reference (by moving the original source drawing) so I can path to the new source drawing, I only revised a few of the alignments and still wish to keep the original file active for many of the unchanged alignments.  Sounds like I will need to brainstorm a work around for my situation.

Thanks
Jeff

Message 4 of 5
troma

You could break all the references to File1.  Then fix some of them to point to File2, and fix others to point to File1 again.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 5
dvo75

I realize that this post is quite old but I recently ran into the same problem. Im working with Civil 3D 2014. I found that in order to get the data shortcuts path to update in the drawings, after changing the path in the data shortcuts editor, you need to restart AutoCAD. Not sure why this works but it did for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report