Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units seem right but giving bad calculations

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Joyfer
284 Views, 4 Replies

Units seem right but giving bad calculations

Hello,

I am working with a drawing that was architectural. I fixed the units to decimal and everything looks right when measured out in model space, but the surface area is in the millions of square feet when it should be in the tens of thousands. I have tried really hard to make my units are set right everywhere and I just don't know what to do anymore. 

If anyone has some suggestions I would realy appreciate them. Attached is the drawing with further explination! 

Thank you all again,

Joy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: Joyfer

Architectural drawings typically use 1 drawing unit = 1" Civil drawings use 1 drawing unit = 1'. Just changing the units from architectural to decimal does not scale the drawing so the units are the same. The original drawing needs to be scaled by 1/12 to get to 1 unit = 1'.

It is best, imho, to start a new C3D drawing from your template and insert the architectural drawing so it will be scaled properly.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
Joyfer
in reply to: Jeff_M

This did work wonderfully! I just now applied your solution because I've been out of town. Thank you so much for your time answering my post I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH. 

Message 4 of 5
hmarji
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff, 

I came accross your solution from a google search. I want to ask you that when you have the drawing unites set to decimal what kind of unites are we looking at ? because in autocad help files it says

"Type

Sets the current format for units of measure. The values include Architectural, Decimal, Engineering, Fractional, and Scientific. The Engineering and Architectural formats produce feet-and-inches displays and assume that each drawing unit represents one inch. The other formats can represent any real-world unit."

please note the ending last sentance, so how can we be sure what kind of units it is when we select decimal ?

thanks in advance ! 

Message 5 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: hmarji

I will reply since Jeff may be out somewhere.  We both work with Civil 3D and our measurements can only be either Metric or Feet.  In our case we use feet.  Civil 3D sets up that "one" unit will be feet.  When using architecture you have to either scale by 12 or scale by 1/12 depending which way you are going.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report