Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit issue

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DaveM
211 Views, 2 Replies

Unit issue

All,

I have a unit issue I need to figure out fast. I always work in units decimal, feet. The person I am working with needs to be able to use feet and inches, when change units to architecual or engineering everthing is off by a factor of 12, what do i need to do to change the units so that when he wants a line 5'3", he can just type it.

Extremely grateful,

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DaveM
in reply to: DaveM

I ended up scaling everything by 12 and then creating a vp of 1"=600". I am sure this was not the correct way to do it.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 3
Neilw_05
in reply to: DaveM

If you set your units to Architectural then Autocad interprets one unit=1 inch. When drawing in Architectural units your command line input for distance is in inches unless you type the foot (') symbol. Thus to draw a 5'-3" line you'd type 5'3. Of course everything you draw will be scaled 12 times larger than your Civil 3D drawing since C3D interprets one unit=1 foot.

If you need to overlay architectural drawings on Civil 3D drawings or vice versa, the best way to handle it is to draw them in separate files and XREF them into each other, applying the appropriate scale factor to compensate for the difference in units.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report