Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underwhelmed by Civil 3D 2014

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
neilyj666
3132 Views, 99 Replies

Underwhelmed by Civil 3D 2014

Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the "new" features in Civil 3D 2014??Smiley Frustrated

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-autocad-civil-3d/features.type-new

If it has the Live Maps feature as vanilla AutoCAD does then as the maps etc can't apparently be printed this renders what could be a great feature almost useless (presumably it's a licensing thing) and don't get me started on the Geotechnical Module only being available in the Suite edition of Civil 3D.

Hopefully there have been a lot of changes "under the hood" that they don't boast about and now it doesn't crash using gradings and they've fixed the Quick Profile Bug etc etcSmiley Wink

Obvioulsy I'll need to wait until it is released before I can be more critical....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
99 REPLIES 99
Message 41 of 100
Jasono2009
in reply to: neilyj666

I believe the overall theme here is Autodesk has major problems in their C3D product that have been documented for some time and instead of addressing those issues they chose to rest on their liberties of the market share. I am done wasting time posting fixes/items on the C3D wish list, helping Autodesk develop their software, etc. With the sole exception of making site grading more stable Autodesk has done nothing since 2009 (2010 release) to make either Mass Haul, QTO, or reporting useful to the practicing user. That's four (4) years of ignoring the obvious in favor of lightweight fixes propped by lightweight users who are apparent experts on what the 90% need and have preposterous titles that follow their names like "expert elite."

Message 42 of 100
TrevN
in reply to: Jasono2009

I really dont know why you are all bitching and moaning and sounding surprised!

AC never listen to their end users and they never correct any bugs that actually make any difference.

They are always and always will only ever be interested in selling more copies of their software.

Until the end user numbers really change to other suppliers nothing will change, and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon!

Message 43 of 100
AllenJessup

@Jasono2009 wrote:

That's four (4) years of ignoring the obvious in favor of lightweight fixes propped by lightweight users who are apparent experts on what the 90% need and have preposterous titles that follow their names like "expert elite."

Why the vitriol? I've seen EE post here agreeing that there are still deficiencies that should have been addressed before now. We all still have our issues with the program. I see the EEs as a link between the users and autodesk not autodesk representatives. Autodesk seem willing to listen to us. I can't say they'll actually do anything about it. But it seems they're looking for a more direct link to a user base.

BTW. We didn't come up with the name and some of us are not that happy with the elite part of it. You're right. We aren't any better users of the software than most others. We were picked more for our willingness to offer help to others by participating in these groups.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 44 of 100
Jasono2009
in reply to: TrevN

If you are referring to me, I never said I was surprised. The point being that posting here will show up on searches of the 2014 release and allow potential buyers to make informed decisions.

Message 45 of 100
Jeff_M

Don't like C3D? Then vote with your wallet and go buy & start using something else. Quit taking cheap shots at people who actually try to help people use the software to be productive.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 46 of 100
Jasono2009
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hey Jeff already ahead of you by 2 years with my wallet. No cheap shots just tired of people propping up a subpar product. Point out to us where you think I am wrong.

Message 47 of 100
mike.barkasi

As a point of discussion, Bentley Systems began working on its open Roads Technology in 2006. It is now 2013, and while Small bits and pieces (such as data Acquisition) were released beginning in XM (3 yrs ago) the bulk of the technology is only now been released.

I explain to users all the time Bentley could have released 2 or more years earlier, however the user would have been badly dissappointed.. Seeing our users now moving to Open Roads Technology (SS3 InRoads GEOPAK and MX) is very satisfying as initial reports are very favorable.

Being a privately held company Bentley was under NO pressure from shareholders to release till we got it right. I seriously hope you all take a look at the Open Roads Technology, We continue to support DWG and C3D models (on the same level AutoCad does)........

Regards Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

PS: Peter, I can only hold a space for you so long for the upcoming Be Conference in Phila. Hope to see you there this year. 

Message 48 of 100

@Mike Barkasi

Does Bentley really need to do advertising that way ... in forums from other software vendors? (if so, then it's really not the best appearance how Bentley is acting).

@Jasono2009

>> just tired of people propping up a subpar product

For me (and I think for most of us) this forum here is for helping others.

If you want to help, then you are always welcome. Phrases like "tired of people...." and "...subpar product" don't help anyone.

I can understand that not each product is the best for each workflow, at least you have done your decission not to work with Civil (everyone accept this here I think), let others have their decission how they want to work (accept this too).

Have a nice day to everyone, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 49 of 100
rkmcswain

@Jasono2009 wrote:

No cheap shots just tired of people propping up a subpar product. Point out to us where you think I am wrong.

I'll admit, I didn't read every word of every post in this thread, but I can't find an example of anyone "propping up" the application. The whole thread pretty much follows the thread title as far as I can tell.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 50 of 100
TerryDotson

thanks for the usual Bentley ad

That's like recommending you replace your car because your wiper blades don't work well.
Message 51 of 100
mike.barkasi
in reply to: TerryDotson

I believe its more like replacing your Car with one thats more dependable and gets you to places your old car never could. 😉 ...

Message 52 of 100
TerryDotson
in reply to: mike.barkasi

... one thats more dependable and gets you to places your old car never could ...

In your highly biased opinion. Also, when the Autodesk driver gets in the Bentley (Software) car they won't have a clue how to start or drive it.

Message 53 of 100
mike.barkasi
in reply to: TerryDotson

I think you would be amazed at how easy it is to get from point A to B without all those dialogs cluttering the screen. Perhaps someone with your talents might even want to develop on it. Regards Mike
Message 54 of 100
Cadguru42

@mike.barkasi wrote:

I believe its more like replacing your Car with one thats more dependable and gets you to places your old car never could. 😉 ...

Your arguments remind me of the OS/2 versus Windows debates back in the day. Sure, OS/2 was better, but that's not what people chose. And the fact that most high schools and colleges don't teach Microstation, that makes it even harder for people to switch to a Bentley product that haven't already been on it. The new generation of designers barely know what Microstation is. State DOTs are switching or allowing Civil 3D because of how great it is, even with all the flaws. 

You should not troll the forums of your competitors to hock your products. It's not very business like.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 55 of 100
Neilw_05

Open Roads technology is quite impressive and will probably keep the DOT's on the Bentley team.

What Bentley needs to do is make the product attractive to the private sector if it is going to gain any traction. That is going to require a lot more than posts to a user forum.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 56 of 100
knmdk
in reply to: Neilw_05

I don't care about any new features. They still haven't added Pipe Data bands support for Pressure Networks. It's been another year of waiting! And again all I get is unusable half-baked demo crap instead of properly working tool for Pressure Networks. Thanks, Autodesk.

Message 57 of 100
sharshbarger

I have to agree with most.  I don't want to see new features as much as I'd like to see the existing ones to work as they should. AFTER that, they can add new ones. 

There's no excuse for some of these issues we currently have.  Oh wait.. "Its in development, and when there's a resolution, we'll let you know"

Message 58 of 100
rkmcswain
in reply to: sharshbarger

@sharshbarger wrote:

I don't want to see new features as much as I'd like to see the existing ones to work as they should. AFTER that, they can add new ones. 

Unfortunately, a sales promo for 2014 that reads "we fixed all the stuff that was broken or half baked in 2013/12/11" doesn't lead to many new sales.  

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 59 of 100
Jasono2009
in reply to: sharshbarger

Just remember when you receive a fatal error to fill in a description of the problem each instance. That will help Autodesk develop their product the next decade while you pay them for it.

Message 60 of 100
sfore
in reply to: rkmcswain

I just want point clouds and generating a surface from point clouds to work again.  I want the point cloud classifications to work the way they did in 2011.  I could generate a surface from lidar data with all point cloud classifications ON, then toggle OFF all classifications except ground - Rebuild the surface and walaa.

Worked great in 2011.  I skipped 2012, so not sure if it worked in it, but in 2013 it's a big bucket of messed up!  I don't understand how things get broke that worked perfectly fine before. 

These sort of things sure doesn't help the haters of C3D and believe me, I'm a supporter.  I've been a salesmen for Autodesk without getting a penny from them!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report