Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undefined Alias Referenced

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jasonbolan4741
2910 Views, 10 Replies

Undefined Alias Referenced

Hello

I've been getting this Undefined Alias Referenced error showing up everytime I open one specific drawing.

Anyone know how to resolve this message? 

Also, I'm not sure if this is related to the first part. In the same drawing I have several png files that I can't get rid of.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: jasonbolan4741
Message 3 of 11

Thanks! That worked.

I still have those pgn files in my xref manager.  All of the files are unreferenced but i cannot detach them

Message 4 of 11

If you use the tree view in the reference manager, are they nested in another file?  If not, can you map them to a png file that you can see and then remove them that way?

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 11

There are two reference files in this drawing. Neither of the two references have the png files in them.

The saved path the png files are trying to follow does not exist on my computer.

c:\docume~1\ke229\locals~1\temp........etc

I don't believe we ever had these files therefore I cannot map them back. So is there another way of removing them from the drawing outside of the xref manager?

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
troma
in reply to: jasonbolan4741

You don't have to map back to the 'right' file.  You can map the reference to any file at all.  (Possibly any .png, rather than any file.)

I don't know if that will help you to remove them, but there you go.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 11

that's exactly what I was trying to say.  This happens to me all the time when someone references a Google Earth image and they save that image on their C: drive.  Then when I open it, I don't have the image.  I map it to another image on my computer, then I can see it and remove it.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 8 of 11
C3D_TomR
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Purg any unused blocks in the drawing then try to detach the image. If that doesn't work you can then use the filter command to select all images in the drawing to erase (delete). You should then receive a message about detaching the image(s).

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 9 of 11

Expand the details section at the bottom. You can map the saved path to a different png that you can select and remove.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 10 of 11
C3D_TomR
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thanks, Lisa. I was able to send this solution to a coworker today. The Edit Alias message box was different than the typical "can't find an xref" message so it was confusing for him.

Tom Richardson

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 11 of 11
C3D_TomR
in reply to: C3D_TomR

We later found the alias link was to a drawing that was attached via map. To remove the attachment:

1. At the command line, type MAPWSPACE and press enter.
  2. When prompted, type ON and press enter.
  3. In the Task Pane that appears, select the Map Explorer tab.
  4. If there are drawings attached to the current drawing using map, there will be either a + or - to the left of the Drawings category.
  5. If there is a + by the Drawings folder, left click on it to expand the category.
  6. Right click each drawing in the Drawings category and select Detach from the menu.
  7. Now save and close the drawing and when you open it in the future, there shouldn't be any messages about a missing alias.

--T

Tom Richardson

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report