Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate Missing Window Guide (Panorama / Elevation editor ect)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Mpendlebury
2091 Views, 1 Reply

Ultimate Missing Window Guide (Panorama / Elevation editor ect)

As this has caused me a bit of pain recently I thought I’d compile everything you need to know about finding that missing window in civil. For me it was the panorama window / elevation editor commands that had gone missing but it applies to most windows.

• Check that you are actually bringing up the window, on your ribbon->Pallets you can check its toggled on or off there or you can run the relevant command in the command line. Ie) _AeccToolspace, _AeccHideEventViewer, GradingElevEditor, make sure there are no error messages in the command line.

For the panorama window you can check here

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-87FFD712-9320-4DBA-BABC-566683C...

•  Try closing every window and pallet and running the command, as it might be appearing as just a few pixels under an existing docked tool pallet.

•  The complete guide from the Autodesk KB for finding a floating window is as follows

“You try to open the Panorama window but the Panorama window does not

display, and the current command ends.

Solution

Your drawing window should not be maximized when you use Alignment and

Profile Grid Views. Commands such as Create by Layout and Edit (associated

with Alignments and Profiles),use the Panorama window to display the Grid

View for editing content.

If the Panorama window does not display, resize the drawing window so that

it is not maximized, and run the command again.

If the drawing window is maximized and you try to open the Panorama window

in a docked state, the current command ends and the Panorama window is not

displayed. To avoid this issue, follow these guidelines:

If the drawing window is maximized, the Panorama window must be floating,

not docked.

If the drawing window is not maximized, the Panorama window can be docked”

If this has failed you the chances are its appearing off-screen , which has the following solutions

•  try pressing Alt+space, then M. Now use your arrow keys to bring the Elevation Editor or whichever window back 'on-screen'. (I haven’t tested this one and I hear claims it doesn’t work with civil windows)

• Tinker with your profile settings to adjust the location of where the window is appearing, C:\Users\”user name”\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Support\Profiles\”Profile Name”\Profile.aws

Snip.JPG
Open this with word and you find this and you can adjust its position of the window back on the screen. I believe this coordinates are the distance from the top left of the AutoCAD application window. (this did not work for me, I might have been adjusting the wrong one)

You might also be able to set the windows to be docked left or right and they should appear again but I’m not super confident tinkering with my text files.

• Change your resolution a few times down, and the windows grow dramatically in size so you can see the window that was previous floating off screen.

• If you have an NVidia card you can Nview Properties you can adjust where new windows appear and prevent windows from appearing off screen (I’m not sure if this works in AutoCAD I here mixed opinions)

If that doesn’t work id try repairing the install and crying you probably have a more serious issue.

Hope this helps!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
cschwagler
in reply to: Mpendlebury

This was absolutely the case on my end using Civil3D 2023. Using multiple monitors, I ended up losing the Panorama window. Two keys:

• "Find" your most recent "profile.aws" file as noted above, and then use Notepad's "Find" to locate "panorama" which will allow you to change the default float parameter (from top and left, just set to 0 for ease).
  • Functions requiring panaroma window information visualization should be performed from a windowed model space. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report