Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATING LINEWORK

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mikerobe100
323 Views, 4 Replies

UPDATING LINEWORK

I imported survey data and had auto lines drawn. then I rotated my points/nodes. -- how do i get my linework to update?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stacy.dunn
in reply to: mikerobe100

If your points are still survey points, you have to rotate them via the survey database using the translate survey database command.  The linework, assuming that they are still figures, will update automatically.

If the points are cogo point and/or the figures were exploded, you will have to re-import the linework or /translate/rotate manually. 

You could optionally create a new database from the points in the drawing and re-create the figures in the new location.

Stacy Dunn
Message 3 of 5
mikerobe100
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Is the prospector for handling cogo points and the survey tab for handling field data? and now that i've translated my survey database, if I brought in more field data and needed to translate it, how would I do that without translating the first set of field data?

Message 4 of 5
stacy.dunn

The survey database is external and separate from a drawing.  You can use it to import and process field data so that it can be used to create a drawing.

The prospector is used to manage and/or access data once it has been inserted or imported into a drawing.  If you import points or figures into a drawing.  They now exist in two places, but are still tied to the survey database. 

If you unlock the survey points, they become cogo points and are no longer tied to the external survey database.  The same thing happens to figures if you explode them.

We only use the survey database for generating linework in a drawing.  I have found it too cumbersome for efficient processing with our current workflow. 

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 5
seattlesurvey

Yes, the survey database is cumbersome.  Occasionally, when there's a one-off adjustment I need to make to the data (translate/rotate), I have done it through the survey database.  Usually though, my m.o. is to import a point file into a temporary drawing (so they're just cogo points), and do any adjustments that I need in that drawing using standard CAD commands.  I then export those (moved/rotated, etc) cogo points into a PNEZD file, and import THAT into my survey database.  Any future field files that need adjusting can go through that same process.

HTH.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report