Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNDO Outrage UPDATE

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Joe-Bouza
596 Views, 14 Replies

UNDO Outrage UPDATE

Creating from scratch with an OOTB dwt to start seems to have fixed the undo problem.

Only one or two people answered yes or no to creating a template from scratch for each update, so I cant get a feel for who is doing what? Maybe I post a separate thread for that.

But I'll share what I just went through "Creating from scratch"

I just spent the last 2 hours starting from scratch and importing. I was going to throw the towel in after two tries with the style import because I kept getting the same-same-undo-Bull%^$#.

Then I gave this a try: in to style import I noticed if I unchecked all – all the boxes did not unchecked (not that it matters or I understand it), so unchecked and ran the import. Then I ran it again and unchecked all actually unchecked all. So I went through the tree importing and deleting styles one node at a time. I checked the Undo behavior after each and it was looking good. As I said I did one node at a time checking undo after each, and it was looking clear until I got to my drainage structures. After importing the drainage structures one or 2 pan zooms created 400 undo commands.

I undid to the last Style Import, and did 1 structure at a time until I hit the 1 that caused the undo list to grow (just my luck it was the last one) and I left I out. This seems to have fixed the undo but the drawing behave a little oddly with slight stutter when pan zooming, and the biggest downfall as I stated earlier:  I lost my expressions ,settings, layer states, layer filters, etc which “IS” the template, no?

So 2 plus hours to up grade a dwt file that worked perfectly well in 2008-2012, And I'm not done because I still need the missing Items.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

Try deleting a Style which has a missing Expression in the new dwt & then try the old school drag / drop of that style & see if that makes any difference. Most Expressions seemed to come along for the ride when I copied our styles using drag / drop.

As for the Layer Filters use the LAYERSAVEFILTERTREE command in existing dwt & then import that Filter list into new dwt using the LAYERLOADFILTERTREE command.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 15
Jeff_M

Joe, now that you know which style is the culprit, have you tried deleting that style from your old template and checking Undo there? Could you post a drawing with just that style in it (start a new drawing from acad.dwt and import that one style)?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff
I was just doing that. I used the style purge but it didn't change the undo behavior, sadly.

Something definately in the style: upon import the acad.dwt drawing it created lots of undo commands

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
rkmcswain

Joe-Bouza wrote:
.....style import I noticed if I unchecked all – all the boxes did not unchecked (not that it matters or I understand it)

Apologies if I mis-read what you wrote there and/or if you already knew this.

In the "Import Civil 3D Styles" dialog, if the "Import Settings" toggle is checked on, then unchecking all the boxes at the top will not cause all of the styles to become unchecked, because any style referenced by a setting will have to be imported in order for that setting to be imported.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 15
Jeff_M

Is this the drawing you intended to post, Joe? It has lots of styles in it...
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 15
Joe-Bouza

I'm sorry. My mistake

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
jmayo-EE

Design Center for Layers,text styles, blocks, tables styles, dim styles.

Not sure how to move layer filters. Don't use them. Xrefs do that work for me.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

No worries. And no I didn't know abbout the import sttings check. Thats the import setting check box that does not import the settings, right? 🙂

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I know how to get them

"Don't use them. Xrefs do that work for me" I rely on that too, but its my understanding that improved performance can be achieved by displaying fewer layers. So I have a few to whittle them down

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
jmayo-EE

You didn't take my bait. 🙂

How do you transfer the layer filters?

And you are absolutely correct with the performance benfit of fewwer layers. I am not sure though if filters release the objects from system memory like unloading an xref or freezing the layers will.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Sorry

LAYERSAVEFILTERTREE & LAYERLOADFILTERTREE

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
jeff_rivers

A note on those commands, my experience with C3D 2012 is that the commands are "LAYERSAVE" and "LAYERLOAD". The long versions ("LAYERSAVEFILTERTREE", "LAYERLOADFILTERTREE") do not work.

They also sometimes require a REGENALL before the filters will appear in the drawing. Occasionally that won't work, and you must close & reopen the drawing to see the filters.

They also are undocumented, as far as I know. They do not appear in the help files.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 14 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: jeff_rivers

@jeff_rivers wrote:
A note on those commands, my experience with C3D 2012 is that the commands are "LAYERSAVE" and "LAYERLOAD". The long versions ("LAYERSAVEFILTERTREE", "LAYERLOADFILTERTREE") do not work.

They also sometimes require a REGENALL before the filters will appear in the drawing. Occasionally that won't work, and you must close & reopen the drawing to see the filters.

They also are undocumented, as far as I know. They do not appear in the help files.

Jeff,

Both ("LAYERSAVEFILTERTREE", "LAYERLOADFILTERTREE") work as expected here in both 2012 SP3 and 2014 SP1.

Did have to close Layer Manager & reopen to refresh before the imported Filters were visible. 

I'm not finding the commands "LAYERSAVE" and "LAYERLOAD" without "FILTERTREE" appended in either version.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 15 of 15
Joe-Bouza

Jeff
the Properties palette never listed any Annotative hatches in the drawing so I had discarded the possibility. But then I wittled down to the style. I took the style out and nothing changed.

Granted the style is seldom used so I didn't give it much thought. A user complained that the structure didn't display correctly in there drawing and lo and behold! there it was a tiny annotative hatch in the block

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report