Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tying a feature line to a surface

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
losfotos
1819 Views, 47 Replies

Tying a feature line to a surface

I created a label for retaining wall that takes the z value from the start and end of a feature line. Works great except that it isn't dynamic. I have created the feature line in a grading sheet where the surface is data shortcut into it and I'm just using grips to make sure the ends are on the bottom and top of the retaining wall. Is there any way to dynamically pin/tie the feature line to a surface that has been data shortcut?

Thanks!

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
47 REPLIES 47
Message 21 of 48
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

I think the entire workflow for building a surface needs to be rethought.

I use more control planes (remember Steve Cannon over at LDD) to set elevations and break lines can be added via surface profile. This makes most site grading 100% dynamic. Adjust the control planes not the feature lines.

I take it a step further and paste the control plane into another surface to raise or lower for uniform discontinuties. Grading off surface profile FL are always live. It may not be perfect but its getting there.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 48
AllenJessup
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe-Bouza wrote:

I use more control planes (remember Steve Cannon over at LDD)

Yes Joe, I remember Steve. Are you saying you use his Plane Tools? Or is there something in Civil 3D I missed?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 48
Joe-Bouza

No only using the technique his tool would do. Civil3d has all that needed to create control planes via FL editing tools, gradings, even corridors.
I understand Jeff has one out there somewhere

Your Name

EESignature

Message 24 of 48
AllenJessup

Nice. Why don't you put a class together for next years AU. Of course I want a demo next time we meet. Smiley Happy

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 25 of 48
Joe-Bouza

Definately!
If my public speaking skills were more refined I'd like to, but all my dis, dat andeutter sprinkled with f-bombs might not go over too well 🙂

Your Name

EESignature

Message 26 of 48
jmayo-EE

Bada Bing Grading by Joey Knuckles.

I'd feel right at home 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 27 of 48
AllenJessup
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

Bada Bing Grading by Joey Knuckles.

OMG Smiley LOL

A.K.A - The Guy from Lawn - Guy - Land!

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 28 of 48
AllenJessup

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Definately!
If my public speaking skills were more refined I'd like to, but all my dis, dat andeutter sprinkled with f-bombs might not go over too well 🙂

So teach me the magic and I'll present it! Smiley Wink Seriously. You'd do fine.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 29 of 48
Joe-Bouza

Thanks. cant wait to show you guys to see what you think

Your Name

EESignature

Message 30 of 48
troma

Sign me up.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 31 of 48
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: troma

You eat steak? you're welcome to join us. might be a trek for you - not sure where you hail from

Your Name

EESignature

Message 32 of 48
troma

Light brown; not pink and not black.
Not sure where you are either, but I'm in Ontario. I imagine you aren't 😉

But I thought we were discussing an online educational opportunity; am I mistaken? I thought you were going to post your methods.

Mark Green

Message 33 of 48
AllenJessup

@troma wrote:
I'm in Ontario. I imagine you aren't 😉

Joe B., John M. and I are all in the New York Metro area ±. So a couple of times a year we try to get together and eat some cow and share Civil 3D tips. Ontario isn't a small place. So you might be within a days drive of us or not. Unless you're in Ontario, CA. Then you definitely aren't. Smiley Happy

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 34 of 48
Joe-Bouza

You left out plotting against the empire 🙂

Your Name

EESignature

Message 35 of 48
AllenJessup

Shush. They were'nt supposed to know that!

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 36 of 48
jmayo-EE

Oh Pinky....and the Brain, Brain, Brain...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 37 of 48
troma

Word's out now. You'll all be followed so you can't have your secret meetings any more!
Well, I probably won't be joining you anytime soon, so be sure to share any special insights you discover with us all, will ye?

Mark Green

Message 38 of 48
jmayo-EE

All you need to do is go to your favorite steak house with Skype and promise not to reveal Joe's daily plan to take over the world. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 39 of 48
losfotos
in reply to: jmayo-EE

New York... yikes, to far for me. I don't even think the company I'm at would spring for AU. None ever have. I think you guys are beyond what I'm doing. I have to create a C3D surface from my bosses paper gradings. "and it better look like how I drew it." I'm dealing with an engineer from the 70's now.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 40 of 48
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: losfotos

You'ld be surprised how close you really are. Don't sell your self short. believe it or not there are people out there so terified of the software they refuse to learn it. - Fact not fiction.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report