Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off displayed data when hovering

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1307 Views, 16 Replies

Turn off displayed data when hovering

Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Don, Globally turning off option for tool tips is available through "Ambient Settings" tab of drawing settings. 1. When you create a new dwg (or perhaps your template) right click on the dwg name in settings tree and right click to go "Edit Drawing Settings" and in that dialog click on Ambient Settings Tab. 2. In Ambient Settings expand GENERAL node and one of the properties listed is "Show Tool Tips". Set this property value to NO. 3. In a dwg created with such settings will not show any tool tips until you set the value back to YES 4. For any reason if you want to turn ON/OFF tool tips to only certain object types - you can do so by editing corresponding feature settings. For example you want to see tool for corridor feature lines. Then in the settings tree right click on the corridor node and select "Edit Feature Settings". In this dialog expand GENERAL node and set the Show Tool Tips property value to YES. By default turn-off the tool tips option seems to be working on alignments objects (if you turnOFF at alignment feature settings); but will add to wish items to be able to add this show tool tip property on the prospector item lists so that user can select a set of alignments (SHFT or CTRL selections) and set ON/OFF to them. Let me know if this make sense. Thanks Chakri Product Designer Autodesk "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Don, Go to the Drawing Settings (Select drawing -> Edit Drawing Settings) and select the Ambient Settings Tab. In the general category you will see a setting for "Show Tooltip". This is a drawing level setting for disabling the tooltip for all objects in the drawing. If you want object level control, then you should use that setting on the appropriate object properties dialog. The "Show Tooltip..." setting is also available at the Feature Level (Select "Edit Feature Settings...at the feature node in the settings manager). This allows you to control the display of a tooltip for a new object. Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you, Chakri and Dan; Yes, Chakri what you said makes sense. Your "English as a Second Language" came through just fine. It really didn't matter that you used more words to explain the same concepts as Dan. Some of us (me especially) are more verbose, rather than terse. And when explaining where to find these "hidden gems" that can be a good thing! :-) I will implement this change in the Template immediately. Thanks again to both of you. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Daniel Philbrick" wrote in message news:418f74c0$1_1@newsprd01... Don, Go to the Drawing Settings (Select drawing -> Edit Drawing Settings) and select the Ambient Settings Tab. In the general category you will see a setting for "Show Tooltip". This is a drawing level setting for disabling the tooltip for all objects in the drawing. If you want object level control, then you should use that setting on the appropriate object properties dialog. The "Show Tooltip..." setting is also available at the Feature Level (Select "Edit Feature Settings...at the feature node in the settings manager). This allows you to control the display of a tooltip for a new object. Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I could be more cryptic... but for obvious reasons that doesn't work well lot of times :) Chakri "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418f7ae6_2@newsprd01... Thank you, Chakri and Dan; Yes, Chakri what you said makes sense. Your "English as a Second Language" came through just fine. It really didn't matter that you used more words to explain the same concepts as Dan. Some of us (me especially) are more verbose, rather than terse. And when explaining where to find these "hidden gems" that can be a good thing! :-) I will implement this change in the Template immediately. Thanks again to both of you. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Daniel Philbrick" wrote in message news:418f74c0$1_1@newsprd01... Don, Go to the Drawing Settings (Select drawing -> Edit Drawing Settings) and select the Ambient Settings Tab. In the general category you will see a setting for "Show Tooltip". This is a drawing level setting for disabling the tooltip for all objects in the drawing. If you want object level control, then you should use that setting on the appropriate object properties dialog. The "Show Tooltip..." setting is also available at the Feature Level (Select "Edit Feature Settings...at the feature node in the settings manager). This allows you to control the display of a tooltip for a new object. Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Gentlemen; I guess the only thing that was not apparent in your explanation was that this Ambient Setting acts as an Override. So that after importing 10 surfaces from the Land Project in question, the tool tips are indeed no longer visible - but, their TT setting in each surface is still checked On. So this Ambient Setting is overriding the Surface setting, and preventing their display. In this form what we have is an All or Nothing implementation of TT display. The way it stands at the moment would probably not be an acceptable solution to most of us. It takes too long to go through each Object and uncheck the appropriate option. What I am looking for is a way to Set the choice of Show Tool Tips on all Objects to unchecked by default, and let me decide when and which TT I want to display, by going into each Object's Properties to check the Show Tool Tip option. Wouldn't this be a more logical way of allowing the end user to decide if TT should be displayed or not? Here's a small example of the condition I'm describing: Would anybody on the Development Team agree with me, that this might be getting a little close to Information Overload? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418f7ae6_2@newsprd01... Thank you, Chakri and Dan; Yes, Chakri what you said makes sense. Your "English as a Second Language" came through just fine. It really didn't matter that you used more words to explain the same concepts as Dan. Some of us (me especially) are more verbose, rather than terse. And when explaining where to find these "hidden gems" that can be a good thing! :-) I will implement this change in the Template immediately. Thanks again to both of you. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Daniel Philbrick" wrote in message news:418f74c0$1_1@newsprd01... Don, Go to the Drawing Settings (Select drawing -> Edit Drawing Settings) and select the Ambient Settings Tab. In the general category you will see a setting for "Show Tooltip". This is a drawing level setting for disabling the tooltip for all objects in the drawing. If you want object level control, then you should use that setting on the appropriate object properties dialog. The "Show Tooltip..." setting is also available at the Feature Level (Select "Edit Feature Settings...at the feature node in the settings manager). This allows you to control the display of a tooltip for a new object. Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

Don, Thanks for the explanation. Incidentally I just logged in two defect on this and two wish items (hopefully will see light inthe next makeover!) My proposal is to have two settings: 1. Show Tooltips:- Yes/No; this setting will control the display of tool tips for all object at the selected level (dwg or feature) 2. Set Show Tooltips - for New Object:- Yes/No. This setting will toggle On/Off the check box on the property field. Now my next proposal is to expose this (per object) property in ITEM View of the objects in the prospector or in AutoCAD OPM; so that user can later select to show or Not per his/her wishes. How does it work? Chakri "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418f9587_1@newsprd01... Gentlemen; I guess the only thing that was not apparent in your explanation was that this Ambient Setting acts as an Override. So that after importing 10 surfaces from the Land Project in question, the tool tips are indeed no longer visible - but, their TT setting in each surface is still checked On. So this Ambient Setting is overriding the Surface setting, and preventing their display. In this form what we have is an All or Nothing implementation of TT display. The way it stands at the moment would probably not be an acceptable solution to most of us. It takes too long to go through each Object and uncheck the appropriate option. What I am looking for is a way to Set the choice of Show Tool Tips on all Objects to unchecked by default, and let me decide when and which TT I want to display, by going into each Object's Properties to check the Show Tool Tip option. Wouldn't this be a more logical way of allowing the end user to decide if TT should be displayed or not? Here's a small example of the condition I'm describing: Would anybody on the Development Team agree with me, that this might be getting a little close to Information Overload? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418f7ae6_2@newsprd01... Thank you, Chakri and Dan; Yes, Chakri what you said makes sense. Your "English as a Second Language" came through just fine. It really didn't matter that you used more words to explain the same concepts as Dan. Some of us (me especially) are more verbose, rather than terse. And when explaining where to find these "hidden gems" that can be a good thing! :-) I will implement this change in the Template immediately. Thanks again to both of you. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Daniel Philbrick" wrote in message news:418f74c0$1_1@newsprd01... Don, Go to the Drawing Settings (Select drawing -> Edit Drawing Settings) and select the Ambient Settings Tab. In the general category you will see a setting for "Show Tooltip". This is a drawing level setting for disabling the tooltip for all objects in the drawing. If you want object level control, then you should use that setting on the appropriate object properties dialog. The "Show Tooltip..." setting is also available at the Feature Level (Select "Edit Feature Settings...at the feature node in the settings manager). This allows you to control the display of a tooltip for a new object. Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Chakri, I think we are in agreement that the best placement for these proposed controls would be at the Object's highest level. By that I mean at the Object type divisions in the Index/Table of Contents in Prospector: i.e., Surfaces, Alignments, etc. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message news:418f9ac3$1_3@newsprd01... Don, Thanks for the explanation. Incidentally I just logged in two defect on this and two wish items (hopefully will see light inthe next makeover!) My proposal is to have two settings: 1. Show Tooltips:- Yes/No; this setting will control the display of tool tips for all object at the selected level (dwg or feature) 2. Set Show Tooltips - for New Object:- Yes/No. This setting will toggle On/Off the check box on the property field. Now my next proposal is to expose this (per object) property in ITEM View of the objects in the prospector or in AutoCAD OPM; so that user can later select to show or Not per his/her wishes. How does it work? Chakri "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418f9587_1@newsprd01... Gentlemen; I guess the only thing that was not apparent in your explanation was that this Ambient Setting acts as an Override. So that after importing 10 surfaces from the Land Project in question, the tool tips are indeed no longer visible - but, their TT setting in each surface is still checked On. So this Ambient Setting is overriding the Surface setting, and preventing their display. In this form what we have is an All or Nothing implementation of TT display. The way it stands at the moment would probably not be an acceptable solution to most of us. It takes too long to go through each Object and uncheck the appropriate option. What I am looking for is a way to Set the choice of Show Tool Tips on all Objects to unchecked by default, and let me decide when and which TT I want to display, by going into each Object's Properties to check the Show Tool Tip option. Wouldn't this be a more logical way of allowing the end user to decide if TT should be displayed or not? Here's a small example of the condition I'm describing: Would anybody on the Development Team agree with me, that this might be getting a little close to Information Overload? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418f7ae6_2@newsprd01... Thank you, Chakri and Dan; Yes, Chakri what you said makes sense. Your "English as a Second Language" came through just fine. It really didn't matter that you used more words to explain the same concepts as Dan. Some of us (me especially) are more verbose, rather than terse. And when explaining where to find these "hidden gems" that can be a good thing! :-) I will implement this change in the Template immediately. Thanks again to both of you. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Daniel Philbrick" wrote in message news:418f74c0$1_1@newsprd01... Don, Go to the Drawing Settings (Select drawing -> Edit Drawing Settings) and select the Ambient Settings Tab. In the general category you will see a setting for "Show Tooltip". This is a drawing level setting for disabling the tooltip for all objects in the drawing. If you want object level control, then you should use that setting on the appropriate object properties dialog. The "Show Tooltip..." setting is also available at the Feature Level (Select "Edit Feature Settings...at the feature node in the settings manager). This allows you to control the display of a tooltip for a new object. Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418ea0bd_2@newsprd01... Hey C3D Development team; If there is not a function to allow the user the means to Globally set Tool Tips on or off, according to the individual's taste, there really needs to be. With the way the setting is now, TT seems to come on by default once you make the Object visible. So consider this scenario; 1.. Import ten to twenty alignments through LandXML. 2.. Make two to five surfaces visible. Can you imagine the size of the TT box by this time? With the necessity of having Prospector showing at all times, and the inability to Globally set TT off, this is going to become quite the distraction IMHO. Do we really need to see "where we are in the world WRT anything and everything" every time we stop moving the crosshairs? -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e8fec_2@newsprd01... Thanks Brian; I will check (or uncheck) this out when I get back to work. I second the unchecked by default. And throw in a "wish" for a Global "uncheck". Maybe someone "in the know" will shed some light on how to do that. And how come you're hanging out here? Aren't you in Colorado? If so, did the Broncos have an early game? Now I remember, you're the one with a new set of twins! Yo'ure just looking for something different than diapers! :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:418e788d_2@newsprd01... Hi Don, They are called tooltips, I think (I don't have C3D installed on this puter). You can turn them off one at a time for surfaces and alignments (and corridors too, I think). Open the properties of the surface/alignment/corridor and uncheck "show tooltips". Personally, I would rather the default be unchecked. Brian "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418e4ada$1_1@newsprd01... Hey People; I don't know what it's called so I'll have to describe the behavior I want to turn off. When you stop your crosshairs from moving a box opens after a couple of seconds. It shows elevation data for any visible surface. What is it called, and how do I turn it off? If I want to know what elevation I'm hovering over I'll use the Coordinate Tracker, thank you very much. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 Attachment not added (too many attachments): "20041108 C3DToolTip.PNG"
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Hi all, Here's one I just had today. Brian
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Hey Brian; Nice one, guy. You win, but I'm not sure that I have a fitting prize. Remember that for the moment it's an All or time-consuming weeding process to turn these pesky buggers off. But there's light at the end of the tunnel. I can't tell you how I know. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:41913e79_3@newsprd01... Hi all, Here's one I just had today. Brian
Message 14 of 17
Scott Wolfe

for those of us with insipid processor capabilities, this tool tip was taking a considerable amount of processor time.

I turned off the tool tips to see what would happen. no more jumpy cursor.

Thank you
Message 15 of 17
Terrain_IaPLS

OK,

We get that the Ambient Settings are to "globally" control the Civil3D object TT's. And we clearly get how to control the individual object properties through the time consuming TT box in lower left corner of C3D object properties.

So, can anyone explain the "overrides" that are available under Settings-Edit Feature Settings for each C3D object type.
If AMBIENT is ON, then say I want select surfaces on, yet
all alignment displays OFF, why when I select OFF through
the Edit Feature Setting the Ambient Settings show an over-ride, yet we experience NO changes and the Alignments still display via TT.

I guess we had (were) to understand that for the "Edit Feature Settings under each listed C3D object type, those listed show the "General", "Utitless", etc. all the RED GUI icons that are a part of the DRAWINGs ambient settings,
and would override. We simply do not get the logic here, on
how this is being applied since doing as stated above, we
get No TT display changes.

Hope this is clear. I'm going to start recording my issues as
a .wav file. (Ug-). I (think) a voice explaination for many things would be better than type-type-typeoooo.

Thanks, in advance.

Geoff T.
Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Perhaps if you checked out Chakri Gavini's comments on November 8, 04 in this newsgroup, you may find your answer(s) or at least one. I see no question marks(?). Normally this is a hint if a question is involved. Bill "hvymtlfan" wrote in message news:31096895.1108139830471.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > OK, > > We get that the Ambient Settings are to "globally" control the Civil3D object TT's. And we clearly get how to control the individual object properties through the time consuming TT box in lower left corner of C3D object properties. > > So, can anyone explain the "overrides" that are available under Settings-Edit Feature Settings for each C3D object type. > If AMBIENT is ON, then say I want select surfaces on, yet > all alignment displays OFF, why when I select OFF through > the Edit Feature Setting the Ambient Settings show an over-ride, yet we experience NO changes and the Alignments still display via TT. > > I guess we had (were) to understand that for the "Edit Feature Settings under each listed C3D object type, those listed show the "General", "Utitless", etc. all the RED GUI icons that are a part of the DRAWINGs ambient settings, > and would override. We simply do not get the logic here, on > how this is being applied since doing as stated above, we > get No TT display changes. > > Hope this is clear. I'm going to start recording my issues as > a .wav file. (Ug-). I (think) a voice explaination for many things would be better than type-type-typeoooo. > > Thanks, in advance. > > Geoff T.
Message 17 of 17
Terrain_IaPLS

Bill,

Perhaps if you had truely read the question, that's what we don't get. It does not work. Hence the order question between "Ambient" and "edit feature settings" access to same settings.

r.e. -Chakri Gavini's comments on November 8, 04
Globally turning off option for tool tips is available through "Ambient Settings" tab of drawing settings.

We got that;YES "globally" it works (as previously stated).
Meaning for ALL C3D objects in that drawing, if it's NO, no display's, period.

1. When you create a new dwg (or perhaps your template) right click on the dwg name in settings tree and right click to go "Edit Drawing Settings" and in that dialog click on Ambient Settings Tab.

2. In Ambient Settings expand GENERAL node and one of the properties listed is "Show Tool Tips". Set this property value to NO.

3. In a dwg created with such settings will not show any tool tips until you set the value back to YES

OK, 1-3 basic and straight forward, per my orginal question.

Now #4;
4. For any reason if you want to turn ON/OFF tool tips to only certain object types - you can do so by editing corresponding feature settings. For example you want to see tool for corridor feature lines. Then in the settings tree right click on the corridor node and select "Edit Feature Settings". In this dialog expand GENERAL node and set the Show Tool Tips property value to YES.

#4 is the problem, We get it and that's how understood, yet this does NOT happen.

Yet if even say Ambient is Yes, then "edit Feature Settings for the C3D object to NO should turn off the object TT display,
yet it still displays, so we don't get it.

Or if Ambient is NO per #2, then "edit Feature Settings" can
be overwritten to Yes for specific C3D object.?? Tried that, &
NO in Ambient is taking the drawing and turning OFF TT for all the C3D objects. Any that were (are) YES do not display.

I (assumed) then Ambient is the parent control for the drawing. And the Settings for each C3D object under "edit feature settings" is where the "Overrides" and "Child Overrides come in.

Simply do not get the order (priority) here. If Ambient is NO, then "edit Feature Settings" for object to Yes is not overriding the object under general. Same other way, a YES for
Ambient, and specific NO's for objects under "edit Feature Settings" are not turning the displays off,

so that's the expanded question in detail.

Not being rude, if applying this simple setting is not working, or we're not using in order designed, how can I set ALL the other optional preferences, + control via "edit Feature Settings" being back to the order of presence question.

Geoff T.
Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report