Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Trouble using FDOT project creator (school project)

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
James43
563 Views, 8 Replies

Trouble using FDOT project creator (school project)

I installed both Civil 3d and the FDOT installer package in their default locations. Now when I create a project it will work fine until it tries to open the new project automatically and will fail, saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". The project is created, but the FDOT Master Sheet Set Template file for the project is not set and all the files linked in that view (roadway plans, signing and pavement marking plans, signalization palns) are greyed out and have a question mark on them. Have I set something up wrong? I followed the FDOT installation guide, and reinstalled, but still the same result. Thank you for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
michael.robertson
in reply to: James43

When did you download the kit? What operating system are you running? 32 or 64bit?

Please be aware that all the FDOT software is still BETA and subject to change at anytime.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 9
James43

I downloaded it about one week ago and am running the 32 bit system. I also installed it on 3 of my team members computers and the same thing happens so I am sure it is something I am doing, not the computer. Thank you!
Message 4 of 9
michael.robertson

Not sure if it has anything to do with it but all the BETA & Pilot project work is being done on 64bit systems. In the end the goal is to produce a product for both 32 & 64bit systems.

We've seen a few problems on 32bit systems we are addressing as we have time. One of the other problems is the ADN-OffsetInXRef tools we deliver that allows you to use the offset command with objects in Xref files also doesn't work correctly on 32bit versions (we have a working version but are not delivering it yet).

I'll test it on a 32bit system sometime today, and see if I see the same results.

Mike Robertson
Message 5 of 9

Talked to the developer today, we were able to reproduce your problem. There will be a fix in the next release. (not sure when that will be but I would guess in the next week or so).

Mike Robertson
Message 6 of 9
James43

Thanks. Should I just keep working in the project I have now and when the update comes out import it into a new one?
Message 7 of 9
michael.robertson

I would just keep working, the program in question basically sets up some information for our Project Management System for when we store delivered projects and it builds our standard project folder structure then creates a template.dst file for the project. It then attempts to store some of the project information into the FDOT Master Template.dst information fields.

As long as it created the correct folder structure you should be good to go. You may need to change the write permissions on the FDOT Master Template.dst file located in the Project's "data" folder before you can start using it.

I'm checking to see why the text in SSM is grey with a red question mark, I'll get back with you on that.

Mike Robertson
Message 8 of 9

Here's the fix for the Create Project problem:

• Launch Regedit.exe
  • Navigate to ā€œ\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FDOT\FDOT2012.C3D\AutoCADā€
  • Right click on the ā€œDataPathā€ variable and choose ā€œModifyā€¦ā€
  • Remove the ā€œacad.exeā€ from the Value data textbox and click OK.
  • Close Regedit and try again.
Mike Robertson
Message 9 of 9
James43

Thanks! I actually just got off the phone with Mr. Fuller who walked me through the process. Everyone has been more than helpful, it is really appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report