Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble importing .csv file as "Points From File"

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
langerhans
8951 Views, 33 Replies

Trouble importing .csv file as "Points From File"

I'm brand new to Civil 3D. Working on personal project and I did my own surveying of a slope. I'm trying to import a .csv file as Points From File. Just can't get it to work. I tried columns of PNEZ, NEZ, PNE (changing both the csv file and the import style); tried making all values the same number of digits and decimal points. Nothing works. Usually it says "Does not match selected point file" but sometimes it says "No point file match found" but sometimes it wil allow an import but then nothing appears in the drawing file.

Is there some special formatting I need to do to the CSV file in order to get it to import? Or am I missing something else?

I've watched half a dozen tutorials on creating surfaces (which is all I really need to do) and also tried manually creating points. I can create the points, but I can't get them to convert into a surface. Any pointers on how to create a surface would be appreciated. It's just my backyard, so it's not a complicated project.

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
Jay_B
in reply to: langerhans

I was able to import your file.

Insert Tab of Ribbon>Points From File>Specify Format>PNEZ (space delimited)>Click Plus button upper right>Change file type filter to csv  and import point file.

Zoom Extents after importing.

Once points are imported if I attempt to re-import I also get the message: "No point file match found"

Note: If there's a black dot to left of "Points" on Prospector tab of Toolspace then you have something else going on.

The black dot indicates points present in dwg which could be styles used etc.

My guess is they are importing and not displaying.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 34
langerhans
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks. Following your steps it does seem to import. This time, it displays one large X that fills the screen when I zoom extents. And yes there is a black dot next to Points. As soon as I click on the large red x -- Civil 3d crashes. Any idea what the large red x means?

Message 4 of 34
AllenJessup

The large X sounds like you are using a basic point style that displays an X so large that all of the points look coincident at the scale Zoom Extents takes you to. I'm not sure why you got the crash.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 34
Jay_B

What version do you have?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous

Some side comment, from what I've noticed importing a point file doesn't work if you have it open in excel or notepad.
Message 7 of 34
langerhans
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll be trying again this weekend.

Message 8 of 34
sboon

There's something odd in your csv file.  I opened the PNEZ (comma delimited) format in the properties editor and loaded your file in order to run a parse test on it.  It appears that the file is missing the proper CR/LF characters which should separate the lines of data.

Clipboard01.png

I opened the file in Excel and resaved it, making sure to use this .csv option - not the older ones.  After that I was able to load the file correctly.

Clipboard02.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 34
hasiukt
in reply to: sboon

I'm having a similar issue.

After creating a point file format and clicking Parse, the data looks to be delineated properly.

While in the 'Import Point' dialogue, the second box says 'Specify point file format'.  With the filter on, it doesn't give me the format the data is in. When I select my file, it gladly delineates in using incorrect columns. When I turn off the filter and select the format I'm using, a warning shows up on the 'Selected Files' section and the status says 'Does not match selected point file.'

er1.png 

er2.png

Message 10 of 34
wfberry
in reply to: hasiukt

If you use Notepad for these points, there is no formatting to worry about.  Just use a .txt file.  If you WANT a .csv file, just rename the suffix.

Bill

Message 11 of 34
hasiukt
in reply to: wfberry

Deleted the first line of the .csv file... that seemed to do the trick.
Message 12 of 34
taiwoaina30
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi,

please am a new with auto cad civil 3d, i read other people' comment about having difficulty in importing their data. i have a similer challenge too. please kindly provide any assistance you can with my data. i have attached my excel( csv) data. 

thanks.

Message 13 of 34
AllenJessup
in reply to: taiwoaina30

@taiwoaina30

There are many points that have no coordinates in the file. You either have to determine why they don't have coordinates and create them or delete those lines from the file. Then import as a Comma Delimited File.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 34
antoniovinci

Agree with Allen, unless you ignore the missing data, obtaining the attached shapefile...

Message 15 of 34
AllenJessup
in reply to: taiwoaina30

Also. Are the elevations actually near zero or did you get a point file with a delta Z field.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 34
antoniovinci

The elevations seem to go from 0.2 to 5.2 units, plausible in a flat terrain...

Message 17 of 34
AllenJessup
in reply to: antoniovinci

Yes. Plausible. But I thought it was worth asking. There are negatives in the lines with no coordinates. I could think up some reasons for that but can't be sure without the OP's input.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 34
hasiukt

Has been a while since I posted this and found a work around. Don't recall what it was exactly.

One thing I do remember is that I saved it as a 'Windows .csv' and had to get rid of the heading info.

Tony Hasiuk, CET

You may unsubscribe from Associated Engineering electronic communications at any time.
Message 19 of 34
rvascocu888

This is an older thread but I am having an issue with my points not coming in to scale. I imported a .csv file.

When I measure across the surveyed raw points in 3D it tells me my distance is rough 60 feet.

When I take my controller and measure it from the exact same points it tells me the distance is 618.819sft

I am new to civil 3D and am an active duty army surveyor so I'm playing around learning the program. Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Message 20 of 34
AllenJessup
in reply to: rvascocu888

Can you expand on a few things. By "controller" do you mean your Data Collector or something else? Does "sft" refer to Survey Feet or Sq. Ft. (I believe the former but like to check).

Since the measurements are an order of magnitude apart. Can you tell us which one you believe to be correct?

Can you share the point file and/or the drawing? A step by step description of how your importing the .csv file with a few screenshots would go a long way in helping diagnose the problem.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report