Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translate Survey NETWORK not the whole Database?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Nrhoads
644 Views, 10 Replies

Translate Survey NETWORK not the whole Database?

I just came from Civil 3d 2008. I am used to creating a survey network for each "day" of fieldwork I have to process. If I have to move and/or rotate the data from day 1 and begin drawing and then day 2 data comes in from the original coordinate system I would translate the day 2 NETWORK. Now my only option seems to be translate survey DATABASE. Am I missing something? How do you guys handle this?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: Nrhoads

Unfortunately this can not be done at this time.

Generally what I do is leave the data alone until completed. This is not the best of worlds on large projects, but if you need to have the data rotated - give you field crew the rotate info and have them use that.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: rl_jackson

Your other option is to unlock the points and rotate as necessary then when day 2 comes in the database is still intact and you can do they same thing all over again - Still not a very good compromise.

I do wish they would push the translate command down to the network only level.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Nrhoads
in reply to: rl_jackson

Can I unlock the points, translate them manually (move, rotate) and the points AND figures update as well? I do not see an option to make the figures translate to where the points are???

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I think you need a new database for each day.  You can only translate the entire database, not individual setups or networks.

If you are using the "new" linework coding method ( CODE B, CODE PC, ...) as opposed to the notes/remarks (BEG, C3,... ) linework you can import a txt file of your points with PNEZD, not through the Survey tab, and translate those points manually.  Then export them out PNEZD txt and import that translated ascii through the survey tab and it will insert your figures.

Message 6 of 11
Nrhoads
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the ideas. This really sucks though that we can't translate individual networks.

Message 7 of 11
IanMcClain

If you use .fbk fieldbooks you can wait till control is adjusted and set, import that into your drawing and then follow up with fbk imports for each day. You still can't process the fbks untill you know your control is set, but if you use description codes for point symbols and prefixes for linework, it makes processing much faster. We generally only have one network with one or more control files (adjusted by third party software since it can be a mix of conventional and GPS) and then import .fbks for each day. Also, in our data collectors we keep seperate control and "topo" files (which reference the control file like an XREF) so the control does not get created in the .fbk files.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 11
Nrhoads
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thanks Ian but,

I've been using fbk files since C3d 2007. I hate fbk files and I'm super excited I no longer have to use them since I can now import the PNEZD file with a line code set and create my linework, symbols, etc and avoid having to edit the PNEZD file and a fbk file as well. The line code sets are a gift from the Autodesk gods, LOL!

I do not have the luxury of waiting and even if I waited on the control to be set I still may need to adjust certain pieces of my data. If a different crew gets sent to the job and just assumes a coordinate system or uses GPS State Plane coords I would have to translate that data separately. It should be possible to translate the NETWORKS and the DATABASE individually. It was possible to translate the NETWORKS in 2008, why the change Autodesk? It's not for the better!

Message 9 of 11
IanMcClain

Fbk still has some advantages over PNEZD coordinate files; I just mentioned fbks since you asked how others handle it.

I agree that we should be able to adjust portions of the database, hopefully in a future release. It would also be nice if the "import event" was changed to "data event" and kept a log of any transfromations that were applied to the data and when they occured, sort of a like a chronological log, and allow you to undo translations. Its nice that the import events are tracked but you can still mess up database by translating incorrectly and have no log of what happened.

Ian McClain
Message 10 of 11
Nrhoads
in reply to: IanMcClain

Curiosity has gotten the best of me 🙂

What advantages do fbk files have over PNEZD files?

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

fbk over PNEZD

just offhand: traverse analysis, changing coordinate systems, notes in topo, finding/editing offsets that were sent in the wrong direction, post field survey entering of traverse for proper insertion (start with dummy coords)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report