Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitions with a Sub Assembly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
peterfunkautodesk
3160 Views, 4 Replies

Transitions with a Sub Assembly

There are been a few posts about transitions this week, so here is a simple little sub assembly (provided "As Is") that might help. It was build with Sub Assembly Composer 2014. The way it works it to calculate a number at a station based on a start and end value, a transition type and the station (chainage) value in relationship to the start and end points of the region. It has X transition types: Linear, Parabolic Out (rate of change increases) Parabolic In (rate of change decreases), Reverse parabolic (back to back), Bay Taper (from Caltrans this is a three part transition made of 2 parabolas and a linear section), Cubic Out and Cubic In.

The way it works is you insert the subassembly before a subassembly that you need to transition. You set up the start and end values and the type of transition to make. Then in the following subassembly you reference the value that is returned. For slopes, you'll have to input the values in decimal (4:1 = 0.25)

I've attached a drawing as well that shows a bay taper of a road from 12 to 24 over 120 and a daylight that goes from 1:1 to 4:1 and back around a curve (3 regions)

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

lol.

I asked for a subassembly along these lines way back in 2009 or 2010.  I was even willing to pay Autodesk to develop what I wanted.  After finding out what they were actually going to charge I figured out a workaround documented by Matt Kolberg here.

Later Matt and I worked out a better solution, using a table to allow for multiple transitions along the corridor.  I don't use it often but it can be a powerful tool, particularly when it's combined with a conditional subassembly to turn the transition function on/off.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5

i have built a small subassembly that has nothing but a invisible point witch can be set to a fixed value and be controlled by a profile and then it returns the elevation as output in the assembly. it's pretty much the same as what Matt does. Great tutorial, kudos! Matt! But I also use it to control the height  of kerb and transitions of the same.

Message 4 of 5
ODO18

This is great thank you.  Any reason why I cannot open this in composer?  We are transitioning to 2021 and we have our own defined styles now and the link line in this will not show up so I need to change the link code to our style display name.

Thank you

Message 5 of 5
ODO18

Nevermind.  I got it.  Apparently I changed the .pkt to .zip back in the day but I see this download is .pkt.  Not sure if this was the one I downloaded back in the day or not but looks the same thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report