AutoCAD Civil 3D General

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 1 of 15 (334 Views)

Transitions Between Assemblies

334 Views, 14 Replies
03-08-2013 09:02 AM

Hi All!

I did a search on this topic and from what I've read, it sounds like the transition should happen automatically (although some tweaking may be required).

But for some reason, I'm NOT getting a transition.

I had one assembly for the entire length and the designer wanted to have the curb stop at 0+40 and from 0+40 to the end, he wanted NO CURB--just an EOP.

So I copied the assembly, modified the copy so that there was no longer a curb and attached the shoulder (that was previously connected to the curb) to the EOP.

So the codes should all be same.

EDIT:  I just attached a dwg file (created/saved in 2012) with my two assemblies in it.  Can anyone see any reason for this? 

Here's a screen shot of what I'm getting:

TransitionBetweenAssemblies.png 

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoLISP, VB and other AutoCAD customization

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 2 of 15 (322 Views)

Re: Transitions Between Assemblies

03-08-2013 09:39 AM in reply to: doni49

It just went from bad to worse.  :smileysad:

At the other end of the project, I need to transtion from normal crown roadway at 21+00 to FLAT roadway at 21+38.

I copied the Normal Crown assembly and changed the cross slopes to 0%.  I split my corridor.

One region uses Normal Crown assembly up to 21+00.  The other region uses FLAT ROADWAY assembly beginning at 21+38.  I need to get the EOP/shoulder lines etc to transion between these two stations.

TransitionBetweenAssemblies2.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 3 of 15 (285 Views)

03-09-2013 07:32 AM in reply to: doni49

I've continued to search and I've found lots of places that say it should happen automatically.  THen I've found lots of places that say it can't be done.

One alternative that I found which looks reasonable is to use feature lines to connect the features between the two assemblies and then create an assembly for use in this region which targets the feature lines.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Transitioning-between-asseblies-of-varying-cross-slop...

So I have two questions about this idea.

1. Is there a way to tie the feature lines directly to the points in the assemblies so that if/when the corridor changes, the feature ines also adjust accordingly (and allow this region to update as well)?
  2. I spent the better part of an hour yesterday afternoon trying to figure out which subassemblies to use in the new assembly.  Any pointers?

EDIT:  I guess that if I can get the feature lines to automatically update as the corridor changes and I can also get those feature lines to be part of the surface, then I don't really need to have an assembly that targets the feature lines.

Don Ireland

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 4 of 15 (265 Views)

03-09-2013 05:23 PM in reply to: doni49

Ok.  Now I've come across a message here in this forum that sounds like it shoud help.

The message:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Transition-between-assemblies/m-p/2905978#M145372

You can also achieve the transition by means of a featureline snapped to the ends of the assemblies on the ends of the transition. It can be a curved featureline or polyline, but a featureline should automatically adjust to the elevations of the corridor when edited. Use the featureline as a vertical target for the corridor assembly through the transition, making sure the assembly can follow a target.

If the featureline has the proper vertical info and it updates automatically when the corridor changes, can't I just add the featureline to the surface?

Don Ireland

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 5 of 15 (248 Views)

03-09-2013 10:27 PM in reply to: doni49
1. Corridors never thansition automatically from one assembly to the next.
2. You're saying that you want the feature line to update when the corridor changes. It doesn't work that way. You edit the feature line, which is being targetted by the corridor, then rebuild the corridor. What happens is the corridor updates when the feature line is edited.

Your scenario where the road changes from 2 percent to flat is more efficiently accomplished with a single region/assembly ans by using superelevation. You need to use a subassembly which us compatible with superelevation. Such as lane-something-AOR (in 2013).
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 6 of 15 (247 Views)

03-09-2013 10:32 PM in reply to: doni49
When iyou are asking about transitioning, I wonder if you have the correct terminology. I'm looking at your image and I think this is plan view? The crown is connected but the rest do not. Is this what you mean by not transitioning?

If they are not connecting, it's often unimportant as the surface generally builds correctly anyway.
Matt Kolberg
*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 7 of 15 (235 Views)

03-10-2013 05:21 AM in reply to: doni49
Yes it's plan view. And although the surface DOES look correct in the first situation I asked about (where it goes from curb to no curb), the plan shows a gap in the EOP & shoulder lines.

You noted that the crown is connecting. No it's not - - that's the baseline.

And the second area surface is NOT getting the surface between the regions. Notice what the contours look like? I'll investigate using superelevation on this.

Don Ireland

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 8 of 15 (233 Views)

03-10-2013 05:32 AM in reply to: doni49
Also if not transition, what would you call it?

I'm new to C3D and used to use InRoads. It WAS called transition in that program and if you had one region assigned to one assembly and the next region assigned to a different assembly, it would attempt to connect the two if both had points of the same code.

And it even had a "Transition Editor" that would show me all the point from both assembly drops and allow me to say "connect this point to this point" or even "connect these points to this point". Such as going from having a ditch to no ditch.

If the ditch ended at 11+00, I would drop the next assembly at 11+05. The gap would be controlled via the transition editor. Connect the ditch foreslope & backslope @ 11+00 to the daylight point @11+05.
Don Ireland

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 9 of 15 (225 Views)

03-10-2013 08:39 AM in reply to: doni49

Well, we don't have a transition editor.  Usually we would just start the next assembly at the same station where the previous one ends, unlike yours where you have a gap.  Feature lines do not connect across a gap, like you have.  For your scenario, I don't see any need for a gap, but even as you have one, you said the surface appears to be ok and that's the important thing.  Having a gap in the corridor is generally fine, except for ta few circumstances.

I looked at your drawing, and you won't be able to use superelevatio nwith the basic subassemblies.  You'l need the LaneSuperelevationAOR.

Matt Kolberg
Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 10 of 15 (212 Views)

03-10-2013 05:21 PM in reply to: doni49

So I copied the assembly, modified the copy so that there was no longer a curb and attached the shoulder (that was previously connected to the curb) to the EOP.

Don't do this. Use Conditional subassemblies with one master Assembly to make subassemblies appear and disappear as desired...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs