AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 21 of 31 (350 Views)

Re: Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

06-26-2012 07:59 AM in reply to: sboon

Yes,

That's the best way. In these cases I have an alignment for front and back of SW so I can go from attached to detached and change the width at any time also.

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Certified Professional
Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 (SP1)
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 22 of 31 (346 Views)

06-26-2012 08:09 AM in reply to: klugb

I do this as well, Bruce, but it doesn't work so well when using the Trapezoidal sub for the base since it doesn't stretch with the walkway. I haven't found a way around this, short of programming my own Sidewalk subassembly which includes the base. What do you do for this?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 23 of 31 (347 Views)

06-26-2012 08:09 AM in reply to: taneum

You use the same technique for widening the sidewalk as you do for the boulevard transition. You create a target for the outside edge of the sidewalk and it will stretch to follow the target. There would be no need for extra assemblies or regions. One assembly, one corridor  and  one region could do it all.

In your case it seems you would do well to use alignments for the inside and outside edges of sidewalk. I would consider using offset alignments from roadway or curb so the sidewalk would maintain it's relationship to the curb in case it needs to move.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Distinguished Contributor
taneum
Message 24 of 31 (342 Views)

06-26-2012 08:20 AM in reply to: Neilw

It sounds like I may have went about this the wrong way then if I want to use one assembly for everything.  So I can use one assembly and program the codes ate the upper left and upper right to target my offset alignments??????  I do want my sidewalk grade to stay at 1% though....with that in mind when it follows my offset alignments it wont pick of the existing grade and tie to that as well will it???????

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 25 of 31 (328 Views)

06-26-2012 10:06 AM in reply to: taneum

When you specify the target you have the options to apply the horizontal or vertical targets independently. If you only use the target for horizontal then the subassemblies will maintain their slopes when stretched. For example if the lane subassembly has a 2% crown slope, it will maintain that 2% slope when the lane widens or narrows along the horizontal target.

You really need to learn more about corridors and subassemblies before trying to use them. The tutorials should give you enough basic understanding in a few hours to figure this out.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 26 of 31 (314 Views)

06-26-2012 11:22 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

See the attached image. You need (2) alignments one for front of sidewalk and one for back. The front of the rock section will follow the front of the sidewalk as it moves in/out. The trick is you need to use the back of sidewalk alignment in two different target locations. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 27 of 31 (310 Views)

06-26-2012 11:28 AM in reply to: klugb

Thanks, Bruce. Makes perfect sense.....somehow I missed that the ShapeTrapezoidal sub has a width target. I could've sworn that it did not have this when I first tried it (c. C3D2008).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
taneum
Message 28 of 31 (291 Views)

06-27-2012 08:52 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

So I went in to my assembly and set my sidewalk sub-assembly to actually be urban sidewalk instead of shape trapezoidal.  The base course I left alone and it is shape trapezoidal.  I have 2d polylines drawn in my plan view for my sidewalk.  I went into my corridor and created a region for this stretch of sidewalk.  (I have indivudual regions setup in my corridor as this project goes in and out of existing sidewalk already on site and proposed that we are designing.  My alignment runs the entire length through everything though).  Anyways, in my corridor parameters I set my urban sidewalk sub-assembly targets.  I set the "Target Alignment of Sidewalk Width" target to use those 2d polylines as in this corridor the alignment has a curve in it as well as verying widths of sidwalk.  When I did this though my sidewalk shows up 1.00' in width and not even lined up with one edge of the sidewalk.  I tried the other targets with the boulevard to no success.

taneum
Message 29 of 31 (284 Views)

06-27-2012 09:09 AM in reply to: klugb

Bruce.....I saw your picture and in your groups you have a left and right.  I created my sidewalk on the left and just moved it so the middle of the siewalk was set at the marker point of the assembly.  I suppose thats a no no.  If I create a left and right for my sidewalk and make them both 2.5' wide to acchieve my 5' wide sidewalk then in my sections I get vertical line down the middle of my sidewalk which would be the respective left and right links of each piece of sidewalk.

I appologize for all my ignorance on this....I am new.

*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 30 of 31 (277 Views)

06-27-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: taneum

Can you promote any data shortcuts and send me the drawing? It will be a lot easier to look at your setup and give suggestions.

bruce (dot) klug (@) clark.wa.gov

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs