Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
taneum
1911 Views, 30 Replies

Transitioning between Sub-Assemblies

Along my corridor I have different assemblies I used.  My sidewalk is curb side in some locations and in different locations there is a boulevard between the curb and sidewalk. I want to transition between these different  asselmblies and I want that transition to show up in the cross sections I cut. Isn't there a way to tell Civil 3D to transition from one assembly to the next one as you could in Eagle Point?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
klugb
in reply to: sboon

Yes,

That's the best way. In these cases I have an alignment for front and back of SW so I can go from attached to detached and change the width at any time also.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 22 of 31
Jeff_M
in reply to: klugb

I do this as well, Bruce, but it doesn't work so well when using the Trapezoidal sub for the base since it doesn't stretch with the walkway. I haven't found a way around this, short of programming my own Sidewalk subassembly which includes the base. What do you do for this?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 23 of 31
Neilw_05
in reply to: taneum

You use the same technique for widening the sidewalk as you do for the boulevard transition. You create a target for the outside edge of the sidewalk and it will stretch to follow the target. There would be no need for extra assemblies or regions. One assembly, one corridor  and  one region could do it all.

In your case it seems you would do well to use alignments for the inside and outside edges of sidewalk. I would consider using offset alignments from roadway or curb so the sidewalk would maintain it's relationship to the curb in case it needs to move.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 24 of 31
taneum
in reply to: Neilw_05

It sounds like I may have went about this the wrong way then if I want to use one assembly for everything.  So I can use one assembly and program the codes ate the upper left and upper right to target my offset alignments??????  I do want my sidewalk grade to stay at 1% though....with that in mind when it follows my offset alignments it wont pick of the existing grade and tie to that as well will it???????

Message 25 of 31
Neilw_05

When you specify the target you have the options to apply the horizontal or vertical targets independently. If you only use the target for horizontal then the subassemblies will maintain their slopes when stretched. For example if the lane subassembly has a 2% crown slope, it will maintain that 2% slope when the lane widens or narrows along the horizontal target.

You really need to learn more about corridors and subassemblies before trying to use them. The tutorials should give you enough basic understanding in a few hours to figure this out.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 26 of 31
klugb
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

See the attached image. You need (2) alignments one for front of sidewalk and one for back. The front of the rock section will follow the front of the sidewalk as it moves in/out. The trick is you need to use the back of sidewalk alignment in two different target locations. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 27 of 31
Jeff_M

Thanks, Bruce. Makes perfect sense.....somehow I missed that the ShapeTrapezoidal sub has a width target. I could've sworn that it did not have this when I first tried it (c. C3D2008).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 28 of 31
taneum
in reply to: Jeff_M

So I went in to my assembly and set my sidewalk sub-assembly to actually be urban sidewalk instead of shape trapezoidal.  The base course I left alone and it is shape trapezoidal.  I have 2d polylines drawn in my plan view for my sidewalk.  I went into my corridor and created a region for this stretch of sidewalk.  (I have indivudual regions setup in my corridor as this project goes in and out of existing sidewalk already on site and proposed that we are designing.  My alignment runs the entire length through everything though).  Anyways, in my corridor parameters I set my urban sidewalk sub-assembly targets.  I set the "Target Alignment of Sidewalk Width" target to use those 2d polylines as in this corridor the alignment has a curve in it as well as verying widths of sidwalk.  When I did this though my sidewalk shows up 1.00' in width and not even lined up with one edge of the sidewalk.  I tried the other targets with the boulevard to no success.

Message 29 of 31
taneum

Bruce.....I saw your picture and in your groups you have a left and right.  I created my sidewalk on the left and just moved it so the middle of the siewalk was set at the marker point of the assembly.  I suppose thats a no no.  If I create a left and right for my sidewalk and make them both 2.5' wide to acchieve my 5' wide sidewalk then in my sections I get vertical line down the middle of my sidewalk which would be the respective left and right links of each piece of sidewalk.

I appologize for all my ignorance on this....I am new.

Message 30 of 31
klugb

Can you promote any data shortcuts and send me the drawing? It will be a lot easier to look at your setup and give suggestions.

bruce (dot) klug (@) clark.wa.gov

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 31 of 31
taneum

well......with two urban sidewalk sections (one for the left side of the alignment and one for the right side) I am getting this to work and its transitioning like I want it to.  My side daylights are working nicely as well.  I am just having issues with the base course not widening with the sidewalk because of the shape trapezoaidal section.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report