Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring one block text attribute to another block

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jamesbarnett
542 Views, 6 Replies

Transferring one block text attribute to another block

Is there a way that I can create a block with text ('A') and when I insert the block and populate the block another block block will update also? I am wanting to create a block for x-sec flags, and detail callouts that update their detail titles.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: jamesbarnett

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is one thing the sheet set manager does very well. Find "Sheets_Happen.pdf" and read the part about callouts. Read the whole thing while you're at it if you've never used the SSM.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
jamesbarnett

That would be a great idea except I'm the only one in the office that can use the SSM. We are also running Carlson products and older AutoCAD.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 4 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Are you wanting to do this across drawing files or layout?
How old are these autocad products? SSM has been in use since 2005

Will these Carlson or older acad products address "Fields" at all?

If you can't use SSM or fields and your trying to read/ write across files and tabs you are going to need a third party app.

It could be a pitty, because as Matt said: Thats what SSM does best, and IMO is what it was designed around
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 7
jamesbarnett

Carlson uses fields. If I could use the blocks across drawings that would be great, but I was figuring if it was possible at all it would only work in a single drawing

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 6 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Well you could link them many different ways. If I couldn't use SSM I might be tempted to link through an excell spread sheet via the data link manager. Supposedly, you could write back and forth so if you change an attribute you could theoreticall write back to excel and the other attributes (in other drawings) could pick up the change. If they all in the same layout you could link them together by use one as the mother and the other could link the att content via "object" field. Another way in the same drawing is to create a dynamic block with lookup tables that would populate other fields based on a single selection. the list goes on.. The only way to get it is to roll up your sleaves get under the hood and srape your knuckles a bit. Good luck
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 7
jamesbarnett

Thanks for the direction now that I know what documentation I should be looking for.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report