Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolspace split screen glitch

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
schram
4533 Views, 21 Replies

Toolspace split screen glitch

When I open Civil 3D 2014, my prospector will be off, If I open it, my screen splits as if it were two vertical viewports. Prospector appears in only the top one, which does not respond.

Here's a screen cap

I've been opening old drawings that don't seem to have this problem, and then creating new drawings. Is it possible that this has something to do with a dual monitor setup?

I have google high and low to find a solution to this problem but have had no luck.

Thanks,

Jason

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
AllenJessup
in reply to: schram

Well... It does "look" like vertical viewports. Have you tried the VPORTS command and selecting Single? Is it possibly due to a dual monitor setup. Possibly, but since it's the drawing window that's split and not the program window. I don't think it's likely.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 22
ToddRogers-WPM

Like Allen said, it looks correct.  Check to see if it's set that way in your template file.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 22
schram
in reply to: AllenJessup

I've tried playing with viewports, the upper portion seems to me to be a dead viewport, if I click on it, my mouse does not change to a crosshair, and the "X" cannpot be clicked to close it. If I change the view port to anything, it divides the bottom portion, like so

Message 5 of 22
Jay_B

It seems there's something weird with yours in that the Toolspace is half masked vertically.
I tried to get the Toolspace to look like yours, anchored left option and 2014 with no updates, the Toolspace covers both viewports using 2 horizontal viewports option as shown in your OP.
Have you tried auditing the dwt being used to create the drawings that have this issue?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 22
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jay_B

FWIW, I saw this mentioned once a number of months ago. I have been looking for the conversation and have been unsuccessful locating it. I cannot recall what, if any, the fix was. I will keep looking... 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 22
Jay_B

What happens if you try ctrl-R which cycles through the viewports?
Worth a try to see if the dead one wakes up.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 22
AllenJessup

Was this drawing created by wblocking from a drawing with 2 viewports set? I've seen inactive viewports created that way. Two things you might try. One is an Audit. The other is inserting the problem drawing into a fresh drawing created from your template.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 22
ToddRogers-WPM

Is your Hardware Acceleration turned on?  Not sure if this will help or not.  Worth a try.

3DCONFIG>Manual Tune

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 10 of 22
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I would see if I could drag the toolspace out of the docked position.

Todd asked If hardware accel is on. If it was on I would try toggling it off and on again.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 22
wfberry
in reply to: AllenJessup

It looks like horizontal viewports to me.

Bill

Message 12 of 22
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Might want to try changing vidio card and/or drivers.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 22
rforen

just had this happen today.

found that it had been docked and it shrunk to a zero width.

hovered the crosshairs along the edge of the drawing area and a parallel Line cursor appeared.

went back and grabbed the edge of whatever the cursor was hovering over and streteched out the missing Toolspace.

hope this helps

Ray

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 22

I'm having the same issue and it's happening in Civil 3D 2013 & 2014.

I have narrowed it down to a custom shortcut that is using a custom profile on our network.

I still can't figure out how to fix this. I have 80 users that will be using this custom icon and profile so that Civil 3D nows where to look for all of our CADD standard, fonts, ctb, templates, etc...

I have tested and it's not our template, viewports, hardware acceleration on or off, etc....

You can actually turn on and off this mystery viewport by clicking on and off the big Toolspace icon.

If I use the standard Imperial icon using the C3D Imperial profile you won't get this problem but if I use our custom icon then it doesn't work.

I also started with the standard icon, imported our custom profile and set current and it still worked, so then I exported the custom profile right away to overwrite it, then started with our custom icon, re-imported the profile and restarted and I still have the issue.

Here is what the icons are using.

Custom icon
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\AecBase.dbx" /p "h:\cadd\profiles\2014\WSN Civil3D 2014.arg"

Standard icon
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\AecBase.dbx" /p "<<C3D_Imperial>>"

Jason, I'm curious if you are using a custom icon and/or custom profile.

I have attached a word doc just showing my screen captures.

I would be curious if the users that are reading this discussion would create a custom shortcut that would point to a custom profile on a network to see if you can repeat this issue.

Thanks

Brent Morris

Message 15 of 22

Nothing attached.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 16 of 22

Let's try again with the attachment.

I just realized that this forum you can't upload the latest version of Word so that's why it didn't come through.

Message 17 of 22

I doubt if it's the icon it's self. Ours is customized in a similar manor:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014\AecBase.dbx" /nologo /p "C3D Imperial 2.0" /t "E:\Acadlib\Template\_RCHD C3D Imperial 2014.dwt" /w "Civil 3D 2.0"

It may be something in the profile. If you start from the stock icon and then switch to the WSN Civil 3D 2014. Does it have the same affect. Oh. It looks like you're referencing an ARG file. I haven't tested that in 2014, but I know that wouldn't work in 2012. You might have to import the Profile ARG into your template and eliminate the .ARG from the path in your custom Icon. You'll notice that our /p parameter does not point to an ARG file. It takes the profile from the template referenced immediately afterwards.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 18 of 22

I imported our profile after I had launch with standard icon and the profile worked and all the tool palettes worked ok.

So that made me do some more testing and I think I figure out this problem and it's kinda funny that this would cause the problem.

I had my system var. Startup=2, I changed it back to defualt value of Startup=0 and it fixed the problem.

So I tested this by starting up with standard icon, changed Startup=2, closed, restarted with standard icon and the problem appeared.

Brent

Message 19 of 22

Did some more testing and it looks like this problem will only occur when you have Startup=2 and the first thing you do is use the New drawing icon and pick a template.

Message 20 of 22

Jason

I'm curious if you also had your system variable Startup=2 and if you did have it at 2 did changing it to either 0 or 1 fix your problem?

Brent

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report