Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool palettes to MEP

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
josephbouza5497
1664 Views, 9 Replies

Tool palettes to MEP

does anyone know the proceedure to get xtp files into MEP tool palettes?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Check out this link AUGI Tool Palette Discusion. It is an older discusion, but still applicable. MEP (and ACA) do not export/import xtp files. They use the Content Browser only to share tool palettes (atc files). You would create a new shared catalog in content browser saved to your network. Then Drag and drop the tool palette(s) to the new catalog. The MEP user can then add the catalog to their content browser by right picking within the window and selecting add catalog. They should be able to iDrop the pallettes onto their Tool Pallette as appropriate within MEP. If you are sharing your tools with a consultant, you would right pick the catalog and select publish.

This is a simplified explaination, and I haven't actually done this myself, but will soon! Been researching this to set up my company's content to share between C3D, ACA and MEP. Still creating all of my tools in between projects.

Would have been nice if Autodesk stuck to one method of sharing TPs.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: MarySeufert

@MarySeufert wrote:

Check out this link AUGI Tool Palette Discusion. It is an older discusion, but still applicable. MEP (and ACA) do not export/import xtp files. They use the Content Browser only to share tool palettes (atc files). You would create a new shared catalog in content browser saved to your network. Then Drag and drop the tool palette(s) to the new catalog. The MEP user can then add the catalog to their content browser by right picking within the window and selecting add catalog. They should be able to iDrop the pallettes onto their Tool Pallette as appropriate within MEP. If you are sharing your tools with a consultant, you would right pick the catalog and select publish.

This is a simplified explaination, and I haven't actually done this myself, but will soon! Been researching this to set up my company's content to share between C3D, ACA and MEP. Still creating all of my tools in between projects.

Would have been nice if Autodesk stuck to one method of sharing TPs.

~ Mary

Hello Mary, the problem is the TP do not exist except in the form of xtp file. Can the xtp file be dragged into the CB?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 10
MarySeufert
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe,

No, the Content Browser only stores Library Files (cbl) and catalog/tool files (atc).  What you would have to do is use Vanilla ACAD (NOT MEP as AutoCAD) or Civil3D to import the xtp file. Then transfer the tool palette to the CB. Create a new catalog on the company network, create a new tool palette in the catalog and then drag and drop the tool(s) to it. See below... It's a pain, but I haven't found a better way.

Hope this helps.

~ Mary

ContentBrowser.png

TP.png

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 5 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Excellent Mary! I got that going but have two questions:

1. Is there a streamlined way to get a TP into content browser? The first one i did copy/paste each individual tool (somewhat annoying and embarrassing to do <G>)

2. I put the new catalog on the server and loaded on a MEP workstation, iDropped it to a TP and it all worked (yay), but it went away when the drawing was closed. I added the search path to no avail. What needs to be set for the TP to always be there?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 10
MarySeufert

Glad it works (kinda). I try to not make too long of answers, but here we go...

1. Here is the frustrating part. Just tested this... You can drag and drop an entire TP to the content browser in ACA/MEP, but not from C3D. And you can't drag and drop at all from them if you have C3D open! I don't have Vanilla, so I can't test it. See below for a shared TP alternative.

2. Find out if there was an open project. ACA/MEP creates a project specific TP group. If the TP was added with a project open, it will be part of the project TP group (even if you can't see the project group). You can double check this by making sure the Tool Palettes File Location is only pointing to the OTB users's 'AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\...' location (or IT specified network path). If a project is open there will be two listings, a project loaction listed first and the OTB location below it. If you add other paths they should be listed under these, ACA/MEP will add the project path as the top listing when a project is open.

There are a few quirks with TPs and ACA/MEP. After you create a project, you have to go into the Customize TP dialog box, and drag a palette from the available list to the project TP group on the right. Otherwise it will apear as if there isn't a project palette group when you right pick on the TP bar, it will only show the standard OTB TPs and any user created/shared TPs. Your MEP users may not know of this function/irritance. My peeps tend to forget this every time!

Hopefully, the new TP got dropped into the project TP group nether realm. I can't think of another reason why it wouldn't show up.

For future shared palettes, you can create the TP/groups on the network to begin with, and add this path as the second TP path for your users. The first in the list is for their custom use (unless a project is open), the second is uneditable (doubled with IT folder permisions if possible), but available for the user. To create/edit the shared palettes, you would move up the shared location to the top listing, modify as necessary, then demote it. BTW don't try to share AEC tools between verticals. Below is what the path list would look like with a project open:TP Locations.png

Curious to know if the vanishing palette isn't because of an open project.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Hi Mary, thanks for the help I may be a day or two before I can get back to this task. I'll let you know how it goes

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Dang! I don't see any projects in the tp path. I added the path for the published tool on the server. As MEP started I saw them and when startup completed the TP emptied (before my very eyes) Smiley Sad

I'll open an SR and let you know the results (chances are I'm doing something wrong)

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 10
MarySeufert

Vanishing as you open up the session might be a corrupted .aws file. This is where ACAD stores the users TP ordering, and is unique to each user. I'll let the subscription ppl step you through fixing that one!

Good luck. ~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 10 of 10

Kudos and solution to you Mary - subcription will iron out the wringles Smiley Wink

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report