AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Contributor
Palanlan
Message 1 of 1 (123 Views)

Too Many Section Grade Break Labels

123 Views, 0 Replies
03-04-2014 02:59 PM

I know this question has been asked before, but I have yet to find a good solution.

I am labelling offset/elevation at grade breaks in section views (many, many section views) for a proposed surface.  For some reason, I am getting somewhere around 40 labels for a section that ought to have 5 or so.

Now, I have used the method expressed in this blog: http://civilfastforward.com/?p=383 which uses expressions to make label text extremely small if a section grade change is below a certain amount (i.e. less than 2%).

While this is quite clever, it does not work if the labels are set to stagger.  The taxt may be small, but the stagger extension lines still appear!  So now, I just have a ton of crooked lines all over the place.  Also, for whatever reason, labels still appear in my sections for non-existent grade breaks on flat sections (and I mean FLAT, no change in elevation, whatsoever).

I know that I can turn the visibility off for labels that I don't want to see.  But I have a lot of superfluous labels and every time I change the surface I'd have to go back through all of the sections and turn the unwanted labels off again, one by one.

Question 1:

Has anyone come up with a better solution to this problem?  I've done quite a bit of searching and everyone seems to point back to using expressions, which seems like a half-fast work around that doesn't actually work that well.

Question 2:

Is there a way to fix my surface so that AutoCAD doesn't find grade breaks everywhere?  Surface smoothing? Reduce section view precision?

Question 3:

Why isn't there a weeding parameter based on SECTION GRADE CHANGE for grade break labelling, and only a weeding factor based on DISTANCE? This would be incredibly helpful feature (I'm talking to you, Civil 3D creators!).

Running AutoCAD Civil 3D

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs