Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today is the day we can talk about C3D 2015

72 REPLIES 72
Message 1 of 73
ToddRogers-WPM
1356 Views, 72 Replies

Today is the day we can talk about C3D 2015

Here is the Help file to review...

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2015/ENU/

Todd Rogers
72 REPLIES 72
Message 61 of 73
Discussion_Admin
in reply to: doni49

The links have been fixed now all should be working properly

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 62 of 73
GTVic
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:

@neilyj666 wrote:
Typically released a few weeks after AutoCAD - for reasons best know to Autodesk
...some would say it isn't even ready after release..Smiley Wink!!!!

The trial version seems to be up and running. However there is no option to download the full package, only do a web install. 😞

http://www.autodesk.ca/en/products/autodesk-autocad-civil-3d/free-trial

Message 63 of 73
nikoue
in reply to: GTVic

I have download and install a trial of civil 3d 2015. I open a drawing witch has alg, profile, corridor, section views and layout created with civil 3d 2013. It also has custom sub assemblies. The program crass all the time. The file has not any problem when i open it with civil 3d 2013. Anyone else try the new civil 3d?
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

Message 64 of 73
nikoue
in reply to: nikoue

After loading the custom subassemplies the program stop crashing. But it seems it has slower response in realistic views. Also i think that the computation material takeoff problem witch appear in civil3d 2014 Sp1 still exists. It compute the half quantities.
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

Message 65 of 73
JoelW7
in reply to: nikoue

Civil 3D crashing... I am shocked Smiley Surprised

Message 66 of 73
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: fcernst

Sorry I dont really have the time to trawl through the goup postings and checking each bug one by one.

Besides which I would need to recreate a model in some cases to be able to do this. As I said earlier Data sets are probably the way forward but in this instance we have missed the boat in any case.

You can test them again on the RC release which I doubt wil be long.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 67 of 73
fcernst
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

Thought we'd been through this before Mike.

It's like deja vu all over again...

-Yogi Berra

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 68 of 73
GTVic
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

I'm still having trouble with the concept. How would they calculate the 3D area of this shape and how would it be applied to volume. I know how to calculate a volume but how would the "3D area be used?

trag.png

Allen

That example shows 5 areas where each is relatively planar so the combined area is fairly easy to calculate. The point is not volumes but to get any quanitity that involves surface area, such as fabric, sod, seed, etc. If the individual areas that make up the larger area in question are not planar there is no simple calculation, you would have to triangulate and the result would have an inaccuracy.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/QTO-2D-Projected-Areas/td-p/3842714

I didn't read up on this too much but I gather people wanted to use QTO to extrapolate volumes whereas Autodesk envisoned it for AREA based quantities only. See post #11 in the above topic for more details.

Regardless of application, I don't think the previous implementation was returning a usable real world answer because in the case of steep slopes it was simply projecting to 2D and returning a much smaller value versus what the user would expect. In your example the bottom two vertical faces would have an area of zero in previous releases. I'm not sure if/how they resolved this.

Message 69 of 73
Cadguru42

@GTVic wrote:

@AllenJessup wrote:

I'm still having trouble with the concept. How would they calculate the 3D area of this shape and how would it be applied to volume. I know how to calculate a volume but how would the "3D area be used?

trag.png

Allen

That example shows 5 areas where each is relatively planar so the combined area is fairly easy to calculate. The point is not volumes but to get any quanitity that involves surface area, such as fabric, sod, seed, etc. If the individual areas that make up the larger area in question are not planar there is no simple calculation, you would have to triangulate and the result would have an inaccuracy.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/QTO-2D-Projected-Areas/td-p/3842714

I didn't read up on this too much but I gather people wanted to use QTO to extrapolate volumes whereas Autodesk envisoned it for AREA based quantities only. See post #11 in the above topic for more details.

Regardless of application, I don't think the previous implementation was returning a usable real world answer because in the case of steep slopes it was simply projecting to 2D and returning a much smaller value versus what the user would expect. In your example the bottom two vertical faces would have an area of zero in previous releases. I'm not sure if/how they resolved this.

That's one of the problems. If you're doing quantities, which is supposedly the whole purpose of QTO, why would volume not be included? The help files and marketing said QTO would do it, but in reality it doesn't. The world isn't flat and neither are quantities. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 70 of 73

In looking at people's titles at Autodesk and the focus at Autodesk Univerisyt I'm guessing most of the Civil 3D team is working on InfraWorks now and not spending a bunch of time fixing Civil 3D bugs. It looks like Civil 3D is in maintenance mode like Land Desktop was a few years ago while Autodesk worked on Civil 3D. While Civil 3D is getting more attention then Land Desktop did it doesn't appear fixing bugs is being done by those who did the new features in the past.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 71 of 73

@Civil3DReminders_com wrote:

In looking at people's titles at Autodesk and the focus at Autodesk Univerisyt I'm guessing most of the Civil 3D team is working on InfraWorks now and not spending a bunch of time fixing Civil 3D bugs. It looks like Civil 3D is in maintenance mode like Land Desktop was a few years ago while Autodesk worked on Civil 3D. While Civil 3D is getting more attention then Land Desktop did it doesn't appear fixing bugs is being done by those who did the new features in the past.

You should see the comments about 3ds Max 2015. There's basically nothing new in it and nothing in Map 3d. Supposedly there is a new team working on 3ds Max now, but Autodesk has been saying that for 6+ years. Civil 3D hasn't gained much in about 3 versions other than some fixes and new bugs. C3D still can't make a single label that references both the spiral and curve aspects of an alignment. There's no way to make a point table that's dynamic and shows station & offsets. That's some basic relational aspects of database design that hasn't been implemented in 10 years inside C3D. LDD lasted for about 10 years and now C3D is 10 years old. How much longer do you think Autodesk will keep working on 10 year old technology? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 72 of 73
AllenJessup

@GTVic wrote:

That example shows 5 areas where each is relatively planar so the combined area is fairly easy to calculate.

Fairly easy for a human. sometimes not so much for a program. I think fcernst answer shows how it would be done problematicaly. They change the program so the calculations are based on 3D area not 2D. How well that's going to work will be seen.

Autodesk has presented Civil 3D as a BIM solution. If it can only handle 2D area or linear quantities. It doesn't live up to that.

I've seen a lot of talk about how there is not too much new in 2015. I'm hoping that this means it's a "bug fix" release. I'd rather have everything working correctly before new functions are added.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 73 of 73
GTVic
in reply to: Cadguru42

engrtech wrote:

That's one of the problems. If you're doing quantities, which is supposedly the whole purpose of QTO, why would volume not be included? The help files and marketing said QTO would do it, but in reality it doesn't. The world isn't flat and neither are quantities. 

Marketing is one thing, reality is another. 🙂 Maybe there is a disconnect between the intention and the documentation/tutorials/marketing with regards to QTO. Post #20 in that topic clarifies what the intention was. Not that that seemed to make anyone happy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report