Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Times out when creating breaklines from survey database

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sellersandassociates
148 Views, 1 Reply

Times out when creating breaklines from survey database

I am trying to create breaklines in a Civil 3D 2015 survey database by right-clicking the Figures list and choosing Create Breaklines.  The software opens the dialog box for me to name the set of breaklines and after I click OK, the software just hangs for hours until I have to End Process on the drawing.  I can create breaklines the manual way by navigating through the Prospector tab and finding Breaklines underneath the Surface im using.  That becomes difficult when there is an entire roadway job loaded with multiple point uploads.  Anyone come across any version freezing when creatin Breaklines from the survey database?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I like survey databases for creating figures. After that point, it's likely best to use Civil 3D how it's been designed to work for many years...

What I do is I explode all my figures multiple times until I only get lines, then I will flatten (don't remove objects) a couple times. At that point I have a mass of 2D lines... From there I use PEDIT (Multiple > Join). Then I have a mass of polylines to add as breaklines. You may ask why, I need the 3D properties. You do, but use the point data to create a surface and simply add the 2D polyline as a breakline (proximity) to the surface and this will be as clean as you can get. Might be counterproductive to the Survey Databases, but survey databases server a purpose, and until they improve Figures and the tools to modify them and use them, I refuse to utilize them. How many more items do we need, 2D polylines, 3D polylines, featurelines, now FIgures... Just my opinion, Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report