Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is not your typical AECC Point Q

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1725 Views, 7 Replies

This is not your typical AECC Point Q

at least that's what I think...I tried to search other posts but no luck

I have a survey dwg with AECC points, linework, a surface and contours. Each group of point has its own layer, which I like for now, but when I convert the points to AECC COGO POINT (using Civil 3D 2011) I want to keep the style of the point and I want to keep them in their original seperate layers.

I am familiar with how to convert the points and that their is a dialog box that appears when doing this to change parameters, but I can't figure out how to keep them with the same point style the surveyor used and keep them in their invidual layer. ( I don't even know if there is a way)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Anonymous

Description keys and point groups help you automaitcally get the style you want assigned upon creation.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Hmmm, but I am not creating the points I am just converting them so I can get their elevation information. Because right now if I try to list or edit my points nothing shows up in my toolspace. If I convert them, then I can see all my points but they display wrong and I just want to keep the way they are display before I convert them.

Hope this makes sense...

I know that I can give the points there point and style setting but I was trying to avoid doing that. I think I am asking for a magical convertion.

Message 4 of 8
troma

Sounds like your first step needs to be creating some civil 3D cogo point styles to mimic what you see in the drawing.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 8
jmayo-EE

Converting creates new points.

If you want symbols, layers, font styles, etc assigned  you need to configure point groups and/or description keys.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M

If you need the point info for creating a surface....just make a copy of the drawing, convert the points to Cogo points in that copy.

Option 1: Export the points to a point file. In the original drawing create a surface and use the point file for the data. 

Option 2: Still in the copied dwg, create a surface from the new Cogo Points. Create a Data Shortcut for the surface. In the original dwg add the surfcae as a Data Reference.

With either method you have the original points still displaying as they were and a surface based on their elevations. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 8
AllenJessup

To keep the original layers. Wouldn't you check the "Preserve original point layers" box at the bottom of the Convert points dialog box?

opl.PNG

As far as the style. I agree with the others. You have to create a Style to mimic that of the original points and set it as the default or change the point style after creation.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
KirkNoonan

Or you convert the points, export to XML or CSV, close and reopen the drawing without saving and import the previously exported point file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report