Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test the height of fill slope relative to daylight catch point?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
clinton_merrell
1469 Views, 5 Replies

Test the height of fill slope relative to daylight catch point?

This seems like something that should be really easy but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I even started looking at using the Subassembly composer to create a custom SA but that seems like a ton of work so something that would seem to be a common problem.

I need to provide a v-ditch with 2:1 side slopes at the toe of a 2:1 fill slope. The flow line of the ditch should be 2 ft below the daylight point of the roadway pavement section.  

My problem is that the conditional subassembly seems to evaluate the height of fill directly beneath the attachment point of the conditional SA (pavement section daylight point in my case – “Daylight_Sub” Point code).  Instead I need it to evaluate the difference in elevation between the catch point of a 2:1 daylight fill slope and the conditional SA attachment point (Daylight_sub). If that difference is less than 2 feet, I need to provide the ditch, otherwise I can just use the daylight slope for the ditch foreslope and the existing surface for the backslope.

Any ideas on how to do this? Maybeits as easy as using a predefined daylight subassembly that I'm overlooking?

Here’s my current assembly attempt:

Assembly Attempt.jpg

And the resulting behavior. It is solving the 2nd fill condition when I would like it to solve the 1st fill condition:

Resulting Cross Section.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sboon
in reply to: clinton_merrell

Look at the help file for DaylightGeneral.  It is designed to do pretty much exactly what you need. 

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 6

I don't see a way to get the DaylightGeneral SA to do what I need.  It looks like the SA only provides a way to evaluate two conditions, either cut or fill, I have 3 conditions:

1. A ditch with a 2:1 cut daylight in cut locations.

and in fill conditions:

2A. If the 2:1 fill slope is less than 2 ft tall, fill till daylighting, then cut untill there are 2 feet between the ditch FL and the bottom of the Pavement section, the cut up at a 2:1 until daylight.

2B. If the 2:1 Fill slope is more than 2 ft tall, just extend the fill slope till daylighting. the fill slope will then be the foreslope of the ditch and the existing ground will be the backslope.

Can you give me any direction on how to achieve this with the DaylightGeneral SA?

Message 4 of 6
sboon

Actually you only have two conditions - cut or fill at the bottom of the potential ditch location.  If you read the behaviour section of the help file you'll see that the sub creates a set of temporary links (defined by you) down to the bottom of a ditch.  If that point is in cut then it finishes the ditch and builds a cut slope.  If the test point is in fill then it goes back to the start point and builds a fill slope, with optional benches etc.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
clinton_merrell
in reply to: sboon

After reading the help file for the 3rd time as you suggested, I think I figured it out. Your were right, the DaylightGeneral is exactly what I needed.  I knew it had to be much simpler than the methods I was trying with conditional subs and/or custom subs.  

Here's my resulting DaylightGeneral sub:

DaylightGeneral Drawing.jpg

And here are the subassembly parameters I used in case anyone is interested:

Cut Properties.jpg

fill Properties.jpg

Message 6 of 6
sboon

You can make a few changes to improve how the sub operates and avoid some future issues.

Change the cut test point to 1

You don't need anything for the Fill 1 link, change that back to the defaults.

Set the Width to Post to 0.  Otherwise, if your fill height is over 10' the steep fill slope will apply and the sub will try to add an extra shoulder for the guardrail.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report