Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tees and bends in gravity pipe...............

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
taneum
3315 Views, 7 Replies

Tees and bends in gravity pipe...............

Has anyone ever been able to do this?  We have a 12" rcp running down a street and need to add in an inlet with a 12" rcp coming out of that and it will tee into the 12" rcp in the street.  How do I show this?  I hate the fact that for as long as pipes have been included in Civil 3d, they have not programmed in any way to show basic tees and bends in pipe (or I just haven't figured out).  Also, I need to make change in horizontal alignment and add in a 11 1/4 degree bend in the 12" rcp.

I see I can draw pipes only (which is a lie becuase it still adds a null structure) and erase the structure but this seems like a cheap workaround and when I erase the structure, the pipes don't join properly anyways.

I am sure I am not the only one with this issue but after google searching this problem, I havent found any ansers.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
troma
in reply to: taneum

Not really a great answer... but best workaround I have:

Make a structure style that draws on a no-plot layer in plan and only draws the connected pipes in profile.  Use this for your "nul" structure so you see the pipe teeing in in profile.  Actually I had trouble with the nul structure so I use my own part for this, set to use this style.  You can make spanning labels to label both pipes together accross the tee in plan and profile.

The obvoius problem is that you have to manually calc the grades to make sure you're one straight grade all the way through the tee.  (Problem obvious to all except possibly Autodesk.)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 8
mosborne

Use the 'null' structure to do this I find that is easiest way and then I use the description of the structure property to to say the type of fitting I am using.

Message 4 of 8
BrianHailey

If you are interested, we sell a library of parts for Pipe Networks that include bends, tees, wyes, crosses, etc. Click HERE for more information.

As far as the null structure goes, if you want two or more pipes to connect with each other, they have to connect at a structure. If you don't want to physically model a structure there, then use a null structure.  What I like to do is set up a "null structure" style that display something so I can see it and select it in the drawing but put it on a no-plot layer within the style so you don't see it at plot time.

So if you don't need to actually model it in 3D, you can always just use a null structure and then assign a style to it so it displays in plan and profile the way you want it to display.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 8
taneum
in reply to: BrianHailey

I do not understand why I would show a null structure, or I do not understand null structures.  When I show a null structure, it's round.  Why would I show that when I need a tee, and, if it's on a no plot layer and that null structure does not plot, then I have a gap between my two pipes where the sturcture is that now doesn't plot.

???????????

Message 6 of 8
BrianHailey

Whenever two pipes connect, they have to have a structure there. If you don't want to show that "structure", use a null structure.

In the case of waterline design, some people will use a Null structure to denote a tee or bend and then stylize that null structure so it displays correctly in plan and profile. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: BrianHailey

As has been said you'll want the null structure to remain visible but not plot.

This way the structure can easily be selected etc. Without having to go into layers or the style to turn it on or off.

Using a Water Main tee as an example, we use a null structure to display the perpendicular pipe connection to the main (ellipse) in pfl view.

Example - Water pipe "a" to the left and water pipe "b" to the right with pipe "c" (null structure representing tee) at the intersection of "a" and b":

Null structure style_profile view direction_display tab turn off all except "connected pipes"

In the Pipe Networks tab of profile view properties_check pipe "a" & pipe "b" to be displayed.

Pipe "c" is left unchecked because if pipe "c" is checked the ellipse will not display in the null structure.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 8
troma

We have found it easier to not use a 'nul' structure for bends and tees, but rather to have a part specifically for this.  (In 2008 at least it was more stable this way.  The part would be more likely to hold its default style when data ref'd.)  As already pointed out, this can be used for plotting items in profile even if you don't want them in plan.

@taneum wrote:

if it's on a no plot layer and that null structure does not plot, then I have a gap between my two pipes where the sturcture is that now doesn't plot.

???????????

Go to edit your structure style.  On the 'Plan' tab and on the 'Profile' tab, uncheck "Enable part masking".  This option is what is creating the gap between pipes.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report