AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 1 of 53 (1,436 Views)

Tech Preview of Corridor Solids for AutoCAD Civil 3D Available on Autodesk Labs

1436 Views, 52 Replies
08-31-2011 06:15 PM

The Corridor Solids Technology Preview for AutoCAD® Civil 3D® 2012 software provides functionality to create AutoCAD® solids from AutoCAD Civil 3D Subassembly shapes that are contained in an AutoCAD Civil 3D Corridor Model. By creating solids from subassembly shapes, representative real-world objects such as tunnels, retaining walls, and pavement layers can be more easily used for visual analysis, design verification, and construction coordination through enhanced model sharing between various project team members who are using applications such as Autodesk® Navisworks® 2012 products, Autodesk® Revit® Structure 2012, Autodesk® 3ds® Max Design 2012, and the new Autodesk® Infrastructure Modeler 2012 software.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/civil3D_corridor_solids/

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 2 of 53 (1,426 Views)

Re: Tech Preview of Corridor Solids for AutoCAD Civil 3D Available on Autodesk L

08-31-2011 08:33 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Oh, I'm looking forward to checking this one out!

Active Contributor
zlotinas
Message 3 of 53 (1,408 Views)

Re: Tech Preview of Corridor Solids for AutoCAD Civil 3D Available on Autodesk L

09-01-2011 04:45 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Once again - no help file, no usage details, not a single picture or video.

Same was with Cartogramma Extension.

How to start this thing, how it works, where is the help file, at least video tutorial on tube or smthng...?

Are all these lab software pieces made by lab insiders for lab insiders? 

What's the purpose of displaying it for public testing when the command list or overall functionality that should be tested is not available for public?

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 4 of 53 (1,393 Views)

09-01-2011 06:06 AM in reply to: zlotinas

There should be a new toolbox entry for the command. We'll work at posting some videos for the tool.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Employee
dsimeone
Message 5 of 53 (1,387 Views)

09-01-2011 06:24 AM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Just to add a bit more detail... Videos are in the process of being posted now. We've created a bunch that show usage of the tool, some best practices, how you can use the solids in a BIM workflow, etc. I expect that they'll all be posted today.

Until then - After you install, you'll find a Labs icon in your C3D toolbox. The new utility is located under this. Going forward, i'd like to host future Labs tools here so there's a consistent acces point. It may not make sense with some of the larger tools (aka, those that have larger UI where a Ribbon is needed to effectively use the tool).

Thanks

Dave Simeone - Civil 3D Product Manager

Distinguished Contributor
jmaeding
Message 6 of 53 (1,367 Views)

09-01-2011 08:35 AM in reply to: dsimeone

How about solids from surfaces?

Corridors are nice, but heavy too.  Much of the design on all but highway projects will be the grading in between the roads.

Might that be in the works also?

Employee
dsimeone
Message 7 of 53 (1,364 Views)

09-01-2011 08:56 AM in reply to: jmaeding

Agreed - Unfortunately i can't share much on our plans at this time, but it's something that we are actively researching. Hopefully we can share more info including technology preview in the not too distant future.

Thanks
DAS 

jmaeding
Message 8 of 53 (1,358 Views)

09-01-2011 09:34 AM in reply to: dsimeone

but why can't you discuss it?  No promises are being made on your end.

I never sit back and say "we can't discuss my idea for how to simplify a surface", or other topics, as the ideas are not new.

Its the implementation (coding) that is to be protected, and that happens automatically by not sharing code.

If things are that sensitive, using the word BIM in association with C3D is about as dangerous as it gets, and that is being done.

The implications of that word are clear to anyone familiar with the architecture world, and would mislead anyone looking at buying C3D.

So why get secretive on just discussing an idea I can already deatil out ways of implimenting?

If you have some new entity in mind, just don't tell us, you would still likely be fulfilling any wishes we would come up with here.

Employee
dsimeone
Message 9 of 53 (1,338 Views)

09-01-2011 10:35 AM in reply to: jmaeding

I can't discuss future technology / product plans without everyone being under non-disclosure. That's a accouting rule that public companies must adhere to. I like and encourage the idea of folks (including us) talking about the the pros/cons of having surface solids. i think they'd be very benficial in cross-product workflows, handling of vertical/overhang elements, etc. We can also start to do some cool things with QTo, reporting, etc.

Others are welcome to jump in - What are some reasons for why you'd want TIN surfaces saved as solids? How would you use them? What new things do you want to do?

Many thanks

DAS

jmaeding
Message 10 of 53 (1,331 Views)

09-01-2011 10:44 AM in reply to: dsimeone

Dave,

I understand, I'm just saying what we are discussing is not under the umbrella of a future feature.

You never said it was a promised item, and we are not expecting it to be fulfilled, so not sure how much safer things can get.

Its all what if....

Glad you are asking for ideas though, that's what I was shooting for with my previous reply.

Good things about solids:

1) no object enablers needed for ahraing with other acad users

2) Direct import into 3d modeling progs (from what I know, not my forte though)

3) possibility of extracting volumes using solids commands - no need to deal with boundaries on volume surfaces.

4) better visualization for things like soil removal

5) Possibility of direct export to 3d printing

6) Possibility of taking advantage of the simplification routines available to the 3d modeling world, something the delunay world is missing.

thx

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs