Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIN volume surface shading

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
tysonbird
2998 Views, 12 Replies

TIN volume surface shading

So I have a tin volume surface comprised of proposed and existing models for a large earthwork site. I would like a detailed cut fill diagram for presentation to project owner. The site involves cuts and fills up to 30' depths. I would like to be able to represent not only cuts and fills, but give a visual representation of the depth of cuts/fills (ie darker blues and reds in the deeper areas, lighter in the shallow areas). Is there a simple way to do this without setting up 100 different colors of blues and reds in the volume surface properties analysis tab? I have seen contractor software that performs this function rather easily.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: tysonbird

If you have a Tin Volume Surface then why not just use that for contours, It cannot get much easier than that.

Bill

Message 3 of 13
tysonbird

I would like a much more visual representation of the earthwork required rather than just using contours. I want the owner to be able to see exactly what is happening on the site (via differing cut and fill shading) and not have to try and interpret contours.

Message 4 of 13
wfberry

You do know that these contours represent cut and fills?  Positive for fill and negative for cuts.

Bill

Message 5 of 13
tysonbird

Im well aware of what the tin volume srf represents.

Here is an example of what I wish for. I gather this is not something I cant expect from C3D.

Message 6 of 13
jmayo-EE

You can show depths of cut/fill by

1. Applying a surface style that displays elevations.

2. Perform an elevation analysis on the surface.

You can also create a table and get the area and volume.

Let me know us you need more detail

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

An example

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
ericcollins6932

Use 2D elevation banding and set up the elevations tab with what you want.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 9 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: ericcollins6932

O.K. so I thought I'd get "cute" to try something other than C3D's color banding so that the OP wouldn't end up with the TIN looking so jagged for the analysis - but it crashed C3D w/o so much as a CER... you can try:

From Prospector right click on the surface and select "Export to DEM"  You'll need to set up a grid spacing and CS like "UTM83-13" since the USGS DEM format (according to the dialog boxes) doesn't support a state plane projection

From the Mapwspace, FDO connect to the DEM & stylize for color grading with as many rules as you want for a color ramp from red to blue or whatever.  stylizing is where i crashed...

Message 10 of 13
thepworth
in reply to: thepworth

no such luck - keeps crashing.  probably due to exporting out a imperial (us survey ft) surface to a metric CS dem and bringing it back in.  and the DEM file became 3.1MB for my 1.6MB drawing.... can't say I'd recommend this method at all!

Message 11 of 13
tysonbird

Is it possible to apply elevation banding based on contours rather than triangles? This may help sharpen up the finished product and make it a bit more presentable. You are still left defining lots of elevation colors on deep cut/fill site, but it would be better than the 'shark tooth' result I usually get.
Message 12 of 13
jmayo-EE

You cannot place the banding on contours. You can try to

1. Smooth the volume surface (Surface Edits). Note that I have never done this to a volume tin.

2. Smooth the source surfaces.

3. Extract the contours and hatch the areas between the contours. Fields can be used in a table to extract the the hatch areas and roughly estimate the volumes. You may have an easier time with hatches if all of the objects have a constant Z value.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
1pinnelli

That's what I'm looking for.

I can't get anymore than 3 ranges.

Any idea why?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report