Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIN to InRoads

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Hidden_Brain
1077 Views, 11 Replies

TIN to InRoads

can anyone please give me some suggestions on bringing a C3D TIN into InRoads? I tried:

1. the Landxml route, but the triangulation at quite a few places come out different (swapped edges).

2. extracted the TIN edges and used them to recreate in InRoads, still the triangulation is different.

i read up online about swapping edges in C3D then exporting, my area is a few miles long. swapping edges would be extremely time confusing and not feasible.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
fcernst
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Due to the fact that in Civil 3D the Rehab subassemblies are defective, many Daylight subassemblies are defective, QTO is defective, the 2014 Section Editor is defective...and now we are having problems with our SAC subassemblies generating .NET errors in 2013 SP2 and 2014 HF1...this will be good reference information to have.

I am looking forward to seeing a response to your query here.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 12
Jay_B

Have you seen this Cadmanageblog on the differences between the 2 software's and possible solutions for?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: Jay_B

That is a very helpful blog post. One Kudo for you Jay.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 12
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Jay_B

thanks, I did check that post before, my TIN is big, so swapping edges to match may not be an option. i know this is the wrong forum to ask this question, but its just strange how InRoads follows its own triangulation even when I use the C3D triangles to create the DTM.

Message 6 of 12
_Hathaway

Your best bet unfortunately is to actually do the project in INROADS. We struggled with the very same issue on a six mile long TINN. We spent weeks (literally) trying to get the Civil3d TINN into INROADS correctly. We had to do so much triangle editing it was insane and was a huge time sink. Oh, and if you do get it into INROADS this way you better hope you don't have to add any new data because if you do you have to re-swap triangles all over again. For our next project we just learned how to process the data in Microstation. This was much much simpler.
Message 7 of 12
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: _Hathaway

not the answer that I wanted to hear, but you confirmed my doubt. I guess we just have totake the hit this time and move on.

Message 8 of 12
Neilw_05

Did you try posting to the Bentley forum?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 12
_Hathaway
in reply to: Neilw_05

I tried there before. It's very very quiet over there and it seems most mircostation guru's are only good at microstation. There are very few if any that are experts in both.
Message 10 of 12
Neilw_05

What forum did you post to? You'd need to post to the Road and Site Design forum to get help with this.

You are right about it being quiet, but there is one very active member I know that is very knowledgeable about C3D and InRoads and will likely respond.

Sometimes members of the development team respond as well.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 12
_Hathaway
in reply to: Neilw_05

Pretty sure that is where I posted but it was over a year ago. As the OP stated the XML TINN conversion does not maintain triangulation when importing into Microstation. In some surfaces it may work but with long linear roadway type surfaces with lots of intricate details it fails miserably. There is no way to convert cleanly. The easiest way is to just do the Topo/Surface in Microstation. It wasn't as hard as we thought it would be and much easier than dealing with conversion issues.
Message 12 of 12
Hidden_Brain

just wanted to follow up on this topic, i can match the tin triangles now in inroads by using the tin edges from C3D as breaklines. i think i was mistakenly selecting the default "random" choice before, which was making it not work as I needed. I am going to try it with xml again and see if there is an option like this i have overlooked. will keep everyone posted. thanks for all the help!

TIN.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report