Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIN surface for Excavated vertical face

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nilesh33
1529 Views, 5 Replies

TIN surface for Excavated vertical face

Hi friends,

I have 3D faces of vertical excavated face. Now I want to build TIN surface from this data into CIVIL 3D.

Because of crossing lines and different elevations at same X,Y points, output becomes "weird".

Output should be what we can see in image. (Image- 3D faces selected in object viewer)

I know we have to violate the "TIN principle" to get this output.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Nilesh

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ksorsby
in reply to: nilesh33

Morning,

Personally, I would select the whole lot and rotate them by 90 degrees before adding them into the surface, so the vertical face is 'flat' to all intents and purposes. This removes all of the vertical issues as you suggested but depending on what you're doing might not serve your purpose.

C3D doesn't handle things that are near-vertical very well and somebody better than me may have a better workaround.

Cheers,

Kevin

Message 3 of 6
nilesh33
in reply to: ksorsby

Thanks Kevin,

Yes I have tried this procedure but not able to rotate the final surface.

Thanks once again. 

Message 4 of 6
ksorsby
in reply to: nilesh33

Yes, you won't be able to.
You need to rotate all the faces before creating a surface. Then add the newly-rotated faces to a new surface. Don't rotate it back after (you won't be able to). Leave it on its side, so to speak, and change the view if you really need to.

Kevin
Message 5 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: ksorsby

You can not create a true face that is at the same x,y and different z in a surface this has not been aloud since the beginning. You can create an approximate, by changing x & y by a very small amount like .01 or .001, but it must change slightly.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
nilesh33
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hi,

Yes I have exported points to CSV and adjusted the X and Y slightly for points of same elevation.

Now we have solved the crosslines and same z elevation problem. 

But we need to find the way, how it will triangulate to nearest "Z" value along with X & Y

This will solve my problem.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report