Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THE Never Ending side slopes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2328 Views, 7 Replies

THE Never Ending side slopes

I am building a ditch corridor using the standard CHANNEL subassembly and 2 standard BASIC SIDE SLOPE CUT DITCH to tie back to the EG surface. To make it simple, I did not change anything in them.

Everything looks fine except that the side slopes never ends. It proceeds at the required 2:1 CUT or 4:1 FILL to the EG surface, it hits the EG and does not stop. Instead it proceeds inside the EG for a certain distance then flips up or down for a certain distance then has a PI and then goes the other way for a certain distance. Finally ending with a vertical 90 degrees complaining that there is was not able to find a surface to end at???

What am I doing wrong?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

KHALED wrote:
> I am building a ditch corridor using the standard CHANNEL subassembly
> and 2 standard BASIC SIDE SLOPE CUT DITCH to tie back to the EG
> surface. To make it simple, I did not change anything in them.
>
> Everything looks fine except that the side slopes never ends. It
> proceeds at the required 2:1 CUT or 4:1 FILL to the EG surface, it
> hits the EG and does not stop. Instead it proceeds inside the EG for
> a certain distance then flips up or down for a certain distance then
> has a PI and then goes the other way for a certain distance. Finally
> ending with a vertical 90 degrees complaining that there is was not
> able to find a surface to end at???
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Can you post a screen cap of what's happening?

--
Jason Hickey
www.civil3d.com
www.eng-eff.com
Message 3 of 8
travanx

Just curious, does your daylight actually work the whole way through? I noticed when I was working with a corridor that if it didn't really daylight some of the top of slope would turn out to be really messed up and just kind of end. I kept thinking the whole time that if it couldn't daylight properly Civil 3D would be smart enough to tell me. Guess not, which is too bad.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Civil 3D should tell you if it's not daylighting properly. The Event Viewer
should pop up and say something like "No intersection with target found"???

Matt
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

(1) Here is an image of what I have in one of the cross sections.

I am using the standrad Channel sub-assembly and the standard Basic Side Slope Cut Ditch subassembly.

For simplicity, I used the sub-assemblies AS IS, withoiut even changing a single parameter.

(2) You are right that AuoCAD Civil 3D complained in the corridor generation. I got the following in the Event Viewer:

SEVERAL "No Side Slope Intersect Found"
One "Mask '0' NOT added to corridor surface 'Ditch_Corridor Surface - DATUM' as boundary due to crossing polygon"
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I have found that creating a corridor surface boundary using the "add interactively" is the way to fix a lot of strange looking cross sections. This might or might not help your situation.
Message 7 of 8
travanx

Doesn't this take away a lot of the dynamic nature of the corridor? If you just drag and drop the alignment, won't you have to add interactive all over again? If not please explain how to keep this dynamic.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

In my opinion, yes and no. Adding an interactive surface boundary to your corridor daylight points *should* update if you make small changes to your alignments and profiles. If you make large changes to your alignments and profiles and corridor regions in a way that makes your daylight points invalid then yes you should probably update your interactive boundary. This has typically been the last thing I do before plotting the close to final cross sections. If I am still in the design phase, I don't worry much about the corridor surface boundary and just accept the fact that the outer cross section graphics may look a little funny. I use the interactive corridor surface boundary toward the end to make everything look nice (unless I need to use it earlier).

While I don't know for sure what your situation was, from my past experience, I could envision a winding channel that does not have a corridor surface boundary. The corridor surface would be creating triangles from one 'peak' to the next 'peak' of the winding alignment. These extra exterior triangles in the 'valleys' between the peaks are what could be showing up on the outskirts of your cross sections.

It has been my experience that adding an interactive corridor surface boundary goes a long way to cleaning up the cross section plots.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report