Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to model space hangs civil 3d 2012

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
shaneelliss
12595 Views, 28 Replies

Switching to model space hangs civil 3d 2012

So I got a sweet new computer and now I am having some troubles with Civil 3d.  I went from a 32-bit windows XP machine wtih 4 gigs of ram and a dual core 2.8 GHz processor with an older radeon graphics card to a 64-bit windows 7 machine with 16 gigs of ram, core i7-2600 (3.4 GHz) quad core processor, and an nvidia quadro 4000 2GB graphics card and I thought my life would be easy.  But apparently great hardware will not solve all of my software issues.

When I try to switch to model space from paper space in C3D 2012 (sp1) it hangs for maybe 5 minutes before finally switching over. I have only worked on two drawings with the new machine, but it does it on both.  And not everytime, just half the time in one drawing and most of the time in the other.  Anyone have any ideas?

Tags (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
tr4driver
in reply to: shaneelliss

This isn't a solution, but just confirmation that I too occasionally have the problem with certain drawings.  It's odd, because sometimes I can make the switch just fine in a particular drawing, and other times it will take 5 minutes or more.  I have tried purging the drawing and running an audit/repair on it.  That doesn't seem to noticeably help.

Kurt

Message 3 of 29
shaneelliss

I was hoping that the service pack would fix it, but it doesn't.  Are there any settings that others have noticed affect this problem?

Message 4 of 29
machadt

Hi,

Please set the LAYOUTREGENCTL to 1 this system variable control the regeneration every time that you switch tabs (Model-Layout), and set the WHIPTHREAD to 3 this system variable control your processor operations.

Hope this will help.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 5 of 29
jbarsic

Having the same issue.  Changing the layoutregenctl improves performance when switching between model and a layout but softwared still hangs when switching between layouts.  Had nothing but problems since upgrading to a 64bit computer with plenty of sytem resources....civil3d 2012 is running better on our old crappy 32bit machines!!!!

Message 6 of 29
Neilw_05
in reply to: jbarsic

You may be experiencing the problem that has been reported by users who have shortcuts to network folders in their plotter folder.  This causes Autocad to hang or very long regen times when switching layouts.

A simple test is to reset your Autocad profile to default settings which resets the printer directory settings in file options. If that helps then look into this issue on the forums.

It may be a drawing specific issue if the page set up is pointing to certain printers on the network. Again that should clear up if the profile is reset.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 29
shaneelliss
in reply to: Neilw_05

ok, I guess this is a dumb question, but how do I reset my profile?

Message 8 of 29
machadt

Here is a different way to get it done, please take a look at this post:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/05/add-reset-user-settings-in-civil-3d-2012.html

Tatiana Machado
Message 9 of 29
Neilw_05
in reply to: machadt

You can try the proceedure in Tatiana's link. Otherwise simply rename your current profile to something like MyProfile, then restart C3D. Since it won't see the default profile (you renamed it), it will recreate a new default profile. Once you figure out what is wrong with your profile you can fix it and swap it back to be the default.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 29
jbarsic

Didn't work.  Any OS settings suggestions as it does not appear to be the AutoCAD profile?....I used the AutoDesk utility(AdMigrator.exe) to reset it and the problem still exists. 

64bit Windows 7 Professional SP1

Message 11 of 29
Neilw_05

I'm not familiar with the AdMigrator utility. Can you try renaming your profile and restarting to make sure it is fully reset?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 29
jbarsic

The AdMigrator utility is what's described in Tatiana's link.  I tried renaming the profile and restarting CAD....dialogue box popped up saying it couldn't find the profile so it was going to create a default one.  Well, the default profile it creates is just a standard CAD profile not a Civil3d one, now I can't get the Civil3D ribbon to show unless I select the renamed profile but then shortly after CAD crashes with fatal exception errors.....I just poked another hole in this sinking ship Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 29
Neilw_05

I'm surprised that C3D did not create a functional profile. You should be able to restore your setup by deleting the new default profile and renaming your old one back to the default name. Make sure it is spelled exaclty the same.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 29
machadt

If you use the link the admin tools, it will looks at the restart point like regular ACAD, but if close it and launch it again from your desktop icon you will get your Civil ribbons back.

Tatiana Machado
Message 15 of 29
machadt

Here is another way to reset your user settings:

• Log on to the computer as that user.
  • On the Start menu (Windows), click Run.
  • In the Run dialog box, enter regedit.
  • In the Registry Editor, browse to the following key and delete it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.2\ACAD-9000:409

• Close the Registry Editor. 
  • Using Windows Explorer, browse to and delete the following user's application folders:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2012

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\C3D 2012

For Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2012
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2012 

• Start AutoCAD Civil 3D. This will initiate the secondary installer, re-creating the deleted files and folders.
Tatiana Machado
Message 16 of 29
jbarsic
in reply to: machadt

Looks like Im back to square one....default settings and a Civil3D ribbon but terrible lag when switching between layouts.  So far no fatal errors though.

Message 17 of 29
machadt

You are back to the defaults, please set LAYOUTREGENCTL to 1 and WHIPTHREAD to 3.

Tatiana Machado
Message 18 of 29
Neilw_05

Glad to know I didn't trash your set up.

Rather then mess with your profiles, check to see that there are no shortcuts to folders or printers in your Plotter folder.

Here is a similar post on the issue:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Slow-Panning-and-Zooming-in-a-locked-viewport/m-p/254...

This may not be related to the problem you are having but it is certainly something to check.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 19 of 29
jbarsic

Layoutgenctl set to 1 and whipthread to 3.  Deleted shortcuts to add a plotter wizard and plot style wizard, they were the only ones in the printer support paths.  I was having pan and zoom lag in model space and paper space last week and resolved it by disabling multi-core support in BIOS and installing Civil3D SP1.  Still having lag while switching layouts.

LAYOUTGENCTL 1 and WHIPTHREAD 3 fixes the lag while switching between model space and last layout viewed but it does not help for switching between layouts, or between model space and a layout not previously viewed.

Does anyone see a problem with the hardware:

Dell Precision T7500

Dual 64bit quad core Xeon E5603 @ 1.6GHz(I wanted faster but since AutoDesk didn't list min recommended speed for 64bit our IT department would not budge)

Firepro V5900 2GB onboard

4GB RAM (paid for 6GB but vendor didn't deliver that, IT is resolving)

Message 20 of 29
shaneelliss

It is interesting to me that when I view this thread it is marked as solved.  I started the thread so I thought I was the only one that could accept an answer as a solution, which I have not done because the problem is still there (as at least one other user has verified).  Does someone else have the power to mark the problem as solved?  Was that you Tatiana?  This issue is not solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report