Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Civil 3D from Carlson

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jamesbarnett
807 Views, 5 Replies

Switching to Civil 3D from Carlson

I need to get up to speed on Civil 3D 2012 for design and survey field purposes. I am pretty good at using Carlson, but this Civil 3D is a different beast. I need some type of training for moderate to advanced users. Does anyone have a good book suggestion that comes with demo dwgs? I need help in all of this dynamic stuff, and file structure issues. I have been reading posts and asking questions as I get to an issue, but sometimes I just don't know what questions to ask until I've spent a lot of time on an issue.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: jamesbarnett

Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D is a good one and has downloadable tutorial drawings.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 6
neilyj666

i agree with Jeff, google and YouTube are also worth trying.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 6
Joe-Bouza

"Scraped Knuckles & Tears" By I. D. Ittalone & Q.A. Deeskuschangroop. Smiley Wink

Seriously, Good Luck - You'll be up to speed before you know it.

I believe 90% is desire.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 6
cpennetti

I've actually used both applications, a lot.  I'm using Civil 3D at about 100% right now.  If you were able to get pretty good with Carlson, Civil 3d shouldn't be an issue to pick up, and it's a lot more enjoyable to work with.

one of the first steps would be to find a good template.  keep in mind that unlike Carlson, the Civil 3D objects cant be modified the same way Carlson CAD parts could be modified.  meaning if you didnt like the way Carlson plotted a profile, you could just manually edit, whereas Civil 3D essentially builds dynamic blocks edited through styles.

The part catalogs are a similar case... the catalog is about the only external file outside of the .dwg with C3D, and you'll want to set it up so that you have some good parts to build from.

As a firm, you also want to determine how extensive you want to model your design.  Civil 3D can do a lot, but it doesnt mean it's required... like do you model just storm manholes, or model the inlet up top as well?

Feel free to ask any specific, i can try and translate Carlson - Civil 3D

Message 6 of 6
jamesbarnett

Thanks guys. I know there is a lot of different stuff out there, and so much of it is free, but I needed some direction. I read what the Mastering Autocad book was about and I think that will be what I need. 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report