Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep mutliple polylines at once

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
l.l.oldescholtenhuis
3846 Views, 13 Replies

Sweep mutliple polylines at once

Hi There,

I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D to model inner city utility construction projects. For my research project, I need to include water and storm pipes, but also various sorts of cables. Currently, I'm manually creating cables profiles using plines from existing 2D drawings and the sweep function.. a very cumbersome taks. 

I was wondering whether there is a way to speed this process up. At the moment, I draw a circle, copy it myriads of times, and sweep each along the dozens of plines (one by one). I cannot select multiple lines and sweep them all, can I?

Can anybody tell me whether I can select mutiple plines to sweep all at once?

Best,

Léon

Tags (4)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

THIS may be a possibility. Also it looks like you don't have to keep copying the circles. You can pick the same circle for each path.

THIS may also help.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14

I've been doing these sorts of project for the past 6 months. We are having to route electrical duct banks under the city streets while trying to avoid all other utilities. Trying to go over & under sewer, water, existing electric, gas & steam is a chore.

The new electrical duct banks include cables in a number of various configurations, that also transition for example from 2x4 to a 4x2 configuration, and then split off to existing electrical manholes and join up with other duct banks all while using predefined horizontal & vertical bends while maintaining a minimum of 3 foot of cover.

The way I produce my profiles Is to put in all the existing crossing utilities as pipe networks and draw my new duct bank profile by projecting the existing utilities to the profile and then draw the new duct bank profile "by hand". I have tried using corridors or rectangular pipes for the new work, but since the duct banks have so many vertical bends & transitions it's easier, but not dynamic like I would like.

I would love to hear from others that design these sorts of project to read how they produce their plans.

Good luck,

Paul

c3d 2012

Message 4 of 14

If anyone is upgrading to Infrastructure Design. It incluces AutoCAD Utility Design. That looks like it has what you need.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14

Hi Allan,

Thanks, 

I tried to implement your first suggestion (I inserted the code below via VLISP). Although the selection features allow me to select multiple objects and plines, autocad eventually only sweeps one line. Do you know why?

(defun c:sweepm ()
(princ "\PSelect objects to sweep: ")
(setq pick1 (ssget))
(princ "\nSelect sweep paths: ")
(setq ss (ssget '((0 . "LINE,*POLYLINE,3dpoly"))))
(setq NumPath (sslength ss) Count 0)
(repeat NumPath
(setq Ename (ssname ss Count))
(command "sweep" pick1 "" Ename)
(repeat NumPath
(setq Count (+ 1 count))
)
(princ)
)

The second option works partially. It actually allows you to select multiple objects and plines and creates new 3D-solids. However, this option copies your plines, sweeps them and moves them to a specified basepoint (which is somehow placed higher on z-axis). 

As I'm not so experienced, I don't know how to solve this.

Can you help me forward?

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 14

Unfortunately no. I haven't done any Lisp in years. My suggestion would be to try the routine at the end of the second link I provided. That's from last year while the first one is from 2008. There may have been a change in the command since then that is causing the trouble.

I haven't used the sweep command before. I was experimenting with it and found if you create a Surface rather than a Solid you can use the same circle over an over. If you create a Solid, it erases the circle.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 14

That's a pitty. 

Regarding the second option: it works quite well indeed. However,  it duplicates the plines and sweeps these on a specified basepoint. The result is then a 2D drawing with plines AND 3D-sweeped-solids. I was wondering whether I could change that "duplicate" feature. 

Léon

Message 8 of 14
graf_p
in reply to: AllenJessup

I did look at the Utility Design product. It's more about engineer analysis & take-off then a drafting utility like we need.
Message 9 of 14

You could try asking in the Customization group. Post the code, explain where you got it from and ask if anyone is willing to help.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
AllenJessup
in reply to: graf_p

I guess I was taken in by the marketing. When I saw:

3D model-based design,

Design overhead and underground structures, electrical components, and communication features

and watched the video. It looked like it might work. I don't have any experience in that field.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 14

Okay thanks!
Message 12 of 14

Try the attached. It allows you to pick one circle to sweep and several plines to use as sweep paths. This routine does not check to see that the paths are polylines, so select carefully or it will fail.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 13 of 14

Have you considered using pipe networks for this? All you would have to do is lower the plines below the surface and convert them. You could setup part lists for all of the conduits/cables you need.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
oguzkirmizi
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks , it is working reaaly good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report